1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing turn signal, headlight, & dimmer switch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by slim pickens, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Sep 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM
    slim pickens

slim pickens [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Just received the (new) turn signal, headlight, & dimmer switch for my 2001 Tacoma SR5, 2.7L, Auto Tran. This senior hasn't the foggiest idea of what/how/where to start to replace this unit. Tried to search it on site but haven't made much progress. My Haynes Manual is a bit fuzzy. Not sure if I should attempt to work on it?

Would there be somebody here that would take the time to post the necessary replacement procedure or just tell me where to go? Any an all input will be very much appreciated. Thank you very much! SP

2. Sep 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    slim pickens

slim pickens [OP] Active Member

Member:
    A bit of an update. New multi functional switch was replaced as directed. Original problem still exists, NO Low Beam, & NO High Beam Indicator Dash Light. However I have only high beams working as other passing motorists confirm. L & R Turn signals working fine. On & Off light switch work. Hope that this may help? Will take it somewhere an try to make further progress tomorrow on checking out the ground on LB. Thank you! SP

3. Sep 5, 2015 at 5:29 AM
    johnny3

johnny3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma TRD
    I'm an old senior too. Check uner the hood fuse box on drivers side, I'm pretty sure there's a fuse for the low beams.The hi beam indicator lighe will require removing the gauge cluster & changing the bulb.

4. Sep 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L 5-speed
    Toyota does a wiring trick and lights the high beam indicator bulb by passing current through the low beam filaments. If both low beams are burned out then the high beam indicator will not work. Are you sure the bulbs are good? If so then you have to pull out the multimeter and track down a disconnected wire somewhere, most likely at a point before the wires split into left/right.

Products Discussed in

To Top