1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reposting: Opinions on lift components

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 2DaMtns, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Oct 14, 2016 at 5:46 AM
    2DaMtns

2DaMtns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB in MGM
    Lift, tires, stuff
    I posted this in the 2nd gen forum and then realized I'd get more traffic here, so I'm reposting:

I know there are a ton of threads on here about lifts, and I have read through several of them. However, some of them are older, and I want to make sure I'm keeping up with the most current info.

I have a 2011 DCLB TRD Sport. It already has an ARB bumper with with Smittybilt 10k winch with synthetic rope on the front, and a Leer fiberglass shell on the back. Typically, I have my toolbox (75# or so), a bag with winch accessories, a hi-lift jack, a couple ammo cans full of straps, and maybe a chain in the bed. I consider this the minimum this truck will have in it on an average day.

I use the truck for camping, and if it's a long weekend, it is usually loaded down with a cooler or two, 10 gallons of water, chainsaw, tent, cots, chairs, tarps, shovel, ax, etc., etc. I also tow a camper with it from time to time (we just bought it, so I don't know much about how the truck acts pulling it now). We have a weight distribution hitch and brake booster installed on the truck for the camper.

I had pretty much decided on the 2" OME Heavy kit. I want a little bit of lift, but mainly want a tougher suspension that will do better with all this stuff than the factory suspension (which has 80k miles on it). After doing some reading, I have seen several people recommend upgrading the UCA's at the same time, no matter what. Others seem to think they're only necessary with 3"+ lifts. So I don't know what to do about that.

I also read about getting different center bolts for the Dakar Springs in case shims need to be added later.

Finally, I read about the shims to correct the driver's side lean. I am 6'1" and 300lbs, so I would imagine my lean will be a real thing once it's lifted.

Within the next six months, I will be adding sliders and a full set of skid plates.

So, my questions...

1) Do I need UCA's with the 2" heavy kit?

2) If I do need UCA's, I figure I will go with the 887 coils in the front to get a little more lift. If I get the 887's, should I get the D29XL's for the rear? (I don't mind the rear being a little higher than the front when unloaded, but don't want it to be silly looking or jar my teeth out when the truck is empty. An inch or less is fine.)

3) Do I need different center bolts for the spring packs?

4) Should I order the shims to correct for driver's side lean?

5) Is there anything you'd recommend that I haven't covered?

Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB in MGM
    Lift, tires, stuff
    Anyone have anything to add?

3. Oct 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I would suggest an aftermarket UCA to correct alignment after lift. With a winch bumper go with either the 886 or 887 springs and the trim packer for the driver side lean. No need for the extra leaf or even center pins door the rear. Do however measure your drive shaft angles before and after lift, before is the most important. If you do experience driveline vibrations, that will give you a baseline to correct tour angles. So, we have covered yes, get UCA's. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Get either 886 or 887 springs, I think you'll be satisfied with either. Get the trim packer for driver lean. No need for the extra leaf or the center pins. Keep in mind that high quality shims will come with center pins. Hope this helps. If there's anything else, just ask away.

4. Oct 17, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    One last thing, something I recommend is stainless steel braided brake lines. You don't need extended in the front unless you convert to long travel, but extended in the rear is very good to have. They also give you much better braking response as an added bonus.

5. Oct 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    TRlPPlN

TRlPPlN Pavement Cruiser

Member:
    Bay Area, CA South SF to be precise
    Vehicle:
    MGM DCSB 09 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - Family Hauler
    HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  6. Oct 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    2DaMtns

Member: