1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

request for 4x4 car camping spots that 4 year olds will like

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Cadmus, May 6, 2018.

1. May 6, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    Cadmus

Cadmus [OP] Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Sad. But the days of backpacking are over for me. My 3-year-old son was a pain in the back (literally) last summer as we tried to backpack with him. Too big to carry. Too slow to walk. Looks like we are car camping until he can carry his own weight. I HATE car camping because I dislike hearing motor vehicles, especially 2 stroke ATVs with loud pipes. (i know, i am a hypocrite given how much I sunk into the truck last year). So i spent the winter gearing up for car camping.

Asking "what is your favorite fishing hole" or "what is your girlfriend's phone number" is totally rude. But, I am a fish biologist who doesn't fish and i am always honest about fish density and stocking. And I have had terrible luck with women. So I hope my karma ("CAR-ma") permits this forbidden question:

Can anyone recommend Colorado and Wyoming secluded car camping places that require high to moderate clearance 4x4 but are not technical or dangerous access as to freak out a small child.

IMGP2443.jpg

2. May 6, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Bonus points if:
    +near child climbing (<5.8) or near adult climbing (>5.8)
    +near a small creek to play in
    +near nice views
    +near mountain bike trails or near abandoned fire roads
    +near day trip hiking
    +not near OHV access

3. May 6, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Green Ridge, Deadman area, County Road 80C also known as Cherokee Park. I camp these areas every chance i get. There are a few atv's, but nothing like you see on the more accessible roads.
    Lot's of tributary roads to explore, you can really get "lost" in some of those areas.

Cadmus[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. May 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    acidchylde

acidchylde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport AC, black, still pretty much stock
    I don't know specifics and if it meets your criteria, but I had a neighbor for the last few years with kids in that age range, and he would take them up to the Pingree Park area quite often, also with friends of his, and they loved it.

Cadmus[OP] likes this.
  5. May 6, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Thanks for this advice. Close to FoCo also. I used to OHV trail planing and maintenance for the USFS and I was on these and kill pecker and a few others often in 2001. But I never was able to return since then. I recall no details of any of these locations. But, now I have the clearance to do it so I look forward to it.

6. May 6, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Thanks!! And it is close!!! any idea where?

7. May 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Pingree Park is the main road, there are several first come first served sites for the first mile or two, then you hit Crown Point Road, on the right. After thet the spots on Pingree Park kind of dwindle as it becomes more private land but still worth the drive to the end of the road to see the CSU campus.

Now Crown Point Road has even more to offer but may not be open for awhile for whatever reason. That road has several tributary roads to explore.
    Browns Lake and Zimmerman hiking trail heads are also this way.

Back to Pingree Park, there is the entrance to Monument Gulch and Old Flowers, both with lots of camping, about 5 miles past Crown Point Road.

It all depends on what is open.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=stelprdb5300963

Cadmus[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. May 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    These are too much traffic for kids and my sanity. But crown point outside of hunting and clear cutting season is a good idea. I was on that prescribed burn and it would be good to see how it came back.

isn't (wasn't) there a road that starts at jacks gultch campground? is that crowded? (not the pay area. I refuse to support the concessionaire system on public lands).

This talk is refiring old synapses. Thanks.

I had some favorite spots NW of north park, but I fear they all burned down last summer.

Side note... is Jacks gultch named for the same guy Happy Jack was named after? I will look into that later.

9. May 6, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    StainlessSteelRatt

StainlessSteelRatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    Icon, SPC, OME Dakar, Mobtown
    Something I found interesting about Old Flowers Road, it's just rough enough to scare off the mall crawlers if you come up from Stove Prairie Ranch. I've had two friends of mine say "you wheel that??!!" when they gave up on it, it's actually a pretty easy drive though when it's dry. It was closed off today though when I ran up there with the missus.

I've only been through that once, but I remember the camping spots looking pretty decent up closer to the Pingree area. They're more hunting camps than anything, but if you're wanting to avoid crowds and other vehicles it's better than most of what you can find locally any more.

Cadmus[OP] and RockiesTaco like this.
  10. May 7, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    acidchylde

acidchylde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport AC, black, still pretty much stock
    Unfortunately no, I don't know the specifics, just that it's in the Pingree Park area (and that's what I meant, not directly on the road named that - I wouldn't camp right off that road either). I'll try to remember to ask next time I'm over that way. Might have been up Crown Point or toward Comanche Res. The road at Jack's Gulch is actually Flowers [152] but there's the 'disconnect' between the segment from Stove Prairie to Pingree Park Rd and the segment 'west of Jack's Gulch'.

11. May 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    I have had this in my pocket to check out more, but it might not be exactly what you are looking for. Found it with a buddy when we decided the Yampa was too crowded to fish by Stagecoach/ Sarvis and decided to explore the headwaters. Never seems to be many there the 3 times I have driven past it last June & July.

Lynx Pass Campground
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbr/recarea/?recid=23044

Cadmus[OP] likes this.
  12. May 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Old Flowers Road is commonly accessed from Stove Prairie/Buckhorn/Rist canyon intersection right by the Stove Prairie School. ( coincidentally, I did the remodel on that school several years ago)
    The 1st part of the trail passes thru private land so stay on the road and in your vehicle until you cross thru the 2nd gate, it is signed, sometimes closed, but not locked. Just close it as you pass thru to keep the livestock off the trail.

I've seen a Buick station wagon run that trail, it's not a big deal. More fun in early fall after a snow. But it is pretty and there is an old cabin to check out, and there is quite a few places to camp up there, stay off the fields of grass and flowers and keep to the dirt and you'll be fine.

Cadmus[OP] and RockiesTaco like this.
  13. May 8, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Ohh yeah. that makes sense. I dont think i ever did much of that part. It once hooked up to long draw road area back in the stage coach days is what i am gathering. Makes sense. Thanks.

(side note: is Jacks gultch named after the same horse thief molester crazy man that happy jack road is named after?)

14. May 8, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!!!!

Looks Cool, Thanks.

That is more my style. I dont need potties or fees.

15. May 14, 2018 at 8:08 PM
    OldDjang

OldDjang Well-Known Member

Member:
    @Cadmus

Let me know if you go up by Redfeather. Also from FoCo and looking for some trips with the kids. I heard Old flowers gets busy.

Cadmus[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top