1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Researching for a new Bicycle, help appreciated

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by logcabinwc, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Apr 22, 2015 at 8:36 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    So I have been wanting a new bike for a while. I use my current bike as my commuter, but it is a single speed I got for free years ago and it is time to step it up.

I've been enamored with cyclocross bikes for a long time now, and reeeeally want one. My commutes tend not to be too long, but I want a bike with drop bars that can handle curbs and plenty of gravel and dirt roads. The big problem is my budget. Being a student, I need to keep costs down. Before you say "save the money and get something better", know that rent, groceries and tuition is first.
    My budget is about $900. I've narrowed it down to two bikes (I think).

Requirements for the bike:
    Drop bars
    disc brakes
    able to do gravel, curbs, etc.

First, is the Norco Threshold A3 ~$825.
    [​IMG]
    Pros: Cyclocross bike, sturdy, cable lines internal in the frame, within budget.
    Cons: Don't know Norco as a brand or reliability, seating position more race oriented (less comfort), difficult to find a dealer.

Although I would love the A2, its an extra $350, so I'll settle for the A3.

Next is the Felt V100 ~$850
    [​IMG]
    Pros: Felt is a brand I am more familiar with, seating position much more comfortable, slicks go faster on pavement, double brake handles.
    Cons: not as tough as a cyclocross, not meant for gravel, not bright ass orange (just kidding).

So does anyone have any experience or recommendations between the two (especially with Norco)? Or any other bikes (within budget) you recommend?

2. Apr 22, 2015 at 9:47 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
  3. Apr 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM
    bsaunder

bsaunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD 6spd
    Norco makes some good stuff.

Seating position and tires can be changed, most important is if the bike fits you and you like it.

4. Apr 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    UnGreased Fist

UnGreased Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off-road
    Norco does make nice bikes

Ive ridden norco mtn bikes a hand full of times

I know your looking for a cross bike. But check out a used cannondale cad 10 huge bang for your buck. Super light weight and durable very comfortable , just no disc breaks

Not to talk bad on felt. I just feel there quality isn't there like it use to be,

5. Apr 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM
    Trucko

Trucko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    arb bull bar Smittybulit 9.5 winch topper shell with yakima basket piaa lights toytec boss coilovers Dakar leaf pack with boss shocks 28/75/16 bfg at ko2 Midland CB Home made trailer with CVT Mount Rainer tent and max coupler hitch
    I would look at the Salsa Fargo. A bit out of your price range but find a used one and might be perfect for you.

6. Apr 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Maybe look at Nashbar and see if they have something there. I dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but you could probably build a bike for less than 900.00, with better components.

Products Discussed in

To Top