1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrofit Backup Cam

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by adrenalnjunky, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Aug 31, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    adrenalnjunky

adrenalnjunky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    billie 5100's front @ .85"
    Something I worked up today.

My 07 didn't have the tailgate handle with the spot for the OEM backup cam - I think they started in 09. Found a used OEM 09 handle on ebay for $12 (score!).

On a guess, I bought the smallest wide angle camera I could find on ebay/Amazon. The Esky 170-07. For $15 shipped, it was worth the gamble.

All that was left was creating a mounting bracket to put it all together.

Since I had just cut up my rear seat cubby to fit a sub enclosure back there, I re-purposed a bit of the plastic and broke out the propane torch and sheet metal snips.

Random hardware from the nut & bolts bin, and I think it turned out pretty well. Have to wait until I get it installed and wired up to do final tweaking of angles and such, but I'm liking the way it look snow compared to my pop's factory camera on his 14 Sierra.

20140831_133944.jpg
    20140831_152913.jpg
    20140831_152925.jpg
    20140831_152946.jpg
    20140831_153012.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 26, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    JWL

JWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 TRDOR
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100, JBA UCAs, 2" Single AAL
    This is literally the exact thing I was looking for. I got the same components and wanted to see if anyone else has done it. I'm trying to find a way to mount the camera at a proper angle without drilling into the actual handle, at least without the bolts showing on the other side. I really do think everything is on TW.

If you read this, tell me, how has it held up? Was the angle of the camera right? I got the one with the guide lines and while they may not be necessary, I'd just like to get them to be level with the ground if possible. This is a great short write up!!!

3. Apr 26, 2016 at 1:57 PM
    adrenalnjunky

adrenalnjunky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    billie 5100's front @ .85"
    Thanks for the feedback. When I did it - I had never owned a vehicle with a back-up cam,and I had always thought they were for lazy people. Man was I wrong! Yes you still should always turn your head to check for cross traffic, but the cam has been an awesome addition.

The mount you see above is exactly how it was installed back in September 2014, and I haven't had a lick of trouble out of it. The angle is good - I might have had to tweak it a touch to get it exactly where I wanted it, but I honestly don't recall. It wasn't hard, or I would remember.

As far as the guide lines, the camera I used is 2 piece, and sandwiches the mounting bracket between the 2 pieces. Lining up the guide lines with horizontal was just a task of a half twist, rotate to level, and tighten the cam body back up. Looks like there are newer versions of the same camera.

I used a Boyo rearview mirror with a built in 4.3" LCD + Compass and temp readout ( I missed having those like I did in my old truck).
    http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTM43TC-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

One unintended bonus - the way I have my camera set, I can't quite see my trailer ball on camera, as soon as the trailer's hitch disappers off the bottom of the screen, it is about where it needs to be. But if I'm having trouble getting lined up -if I drop my tailgate, the camera is pointed directly at my trailer ball and it is a cinch.

4. Apr 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    JWL

JWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 TRDOR
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100, JBA UCAs, 2" Single AAL
    Thanks for the quick feedback!! Glad to see you're still around. I was just toying around with it and saw you can unscrew the little cap off the nose of it for adjustment.

I had the idea of taking some kind of epoxy or other viscous adhesive and just using that... But the handle is ever so slightly curved which would compromise adherence as there would be very little actual mated surface area. I'll have to find some kind of bracket that would allow for me to bolt it to that closest hole and just go from there. Im thinking of trying to find some super tiny lockable hinge to try and get that vertical angle right... It's a backup camera I know lol but i try to do things as good as possible the first time around

5. May 7, 2016 at 3:45 AM
    airrage

airrage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 DCSB
    17X9 Gear Alloy Rims, BFG KO2's , Android Radio, 32" LED Light Bar in Bumper, LED Bed Lights,
    I been looking for a handle like that for under $20 but mine is like this right now and works great. If i score a good deal on one i will be doing the same!
    20151121_152905_zpsxvhyjvs3_6b457f6da8d4059a93d5930ce0a29840deeed583.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top