1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rev Limiter Removal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Buellie, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    Buellie

Buellie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Work Truck
    Undercover Bed Cover
    Being a pussy is your choice. Doesn't matter to me how you choose to drive.

2. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Maybe you are due..... wanna keep pushing the luck a lil further???

3. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    :popcorn:

Please explain to me how driving 100+MPH on city streets is not dangerous.

4. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM
    Buellie

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Work Truck
    Undercover Bed Cover
    I don't want to go into my personal philosopies on life, but i went through a major life changing event on a nice autumn day back in 2001, so yes, i've earned the right to use my luck any way i see fit.

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    oh here we go :popcorn:

if you care to...i'll be glad to discuss said speeding with you here OR on the side of the road...either or works for me

so driving fast doesnt = driving unsafely?

please...do elaborate...because the last time i checked...the majority of collisions, wrecks, injuries, and deaths on the highways, speed is a factor. The NHTSA seems to disagree...and I'd be willing to bet most, if not all, law enforcement jurisdictions across this country would disagree as well

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2005/809_839/pages/figure2.html

sure...thats dangerous...but so is speeding...combine the guy reading with you speeding...he slams on brakes because he didnt see the stop light...then you cant stop in time...blam...collision...

to address the video...ridiculous...why would that even be posted? if it is in a residential neighborhood and youre going that fast...what do you do when a kid runs out in front of you?

I dont personally think you've blacklisted yourself...but i think you need to think about what you post...asking about removing safety devices and discussing illegal activities is discouraged here...as it should be

6. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    Buellie

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Work Truck
    Undercover Bed Cover
    Let me ask you a valid question. Do you do anything in your life that's dangerous?

By looking at your sig, i'll take a wild guess that you like to go Four Wheeling. Now some people would say that's dangerous.

I'm sure you have years of expiernce, and you know what to do and what not to do to on the trails so you don't kill yourself, right?

Again, i will state for the record that i DO NOT speed everytime i get into my vehicles. I have a spotless driving record. I was an amautur Motorcycle Road racer for 10 years, so i know a few things about controlling a motorized vehicle at higher then legal speeds.

To get back to your question, driving 100mph on a Interstate during good conditions, ie: dry roads, and no traffic, with a well maintained vehicle is perfectly reasonable. It's illegal, yes, dangerous no. I feel even a Tacoma can safely maintain that speed. We've come a along way from crappy cars of the 80's.

We can beat this to the ground, and i do find the bantor entertaining. It's keeping me occupied while i'm in my hotel room.

7. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    every morning when i get up i put a big fat target on my back for every drug dealer and gang banger in my general vicinity...is that dangerous enough for you? or how about walking up to the car on the side of the interstate late at night by myself?

i put my ass on the line every day i go to work to keep everyone else here safe...

when i go wheeling i do indeed do things that keep myself and everyone else safe...and that includes but is not limited to following the rules and regulations of the parks i visit.

even the most spotless driving record can end when the OTHER driver does something stupid...its called defensive driving and driving 100mph regardless of weather/traffic conditions is NOT defensive driving

regardless of whether youre on a track bike with track tires...or the interstate with street tires that may even be rated for that speed...shit can happen...hit debris in the road...something runs in front of you...you dont have time to react if youre doing 100mph...period...its NOT safe

if youve raced for as long as you say you have...youd know that shit can happen in an instant even on the most well maintained and well prepared vehicle...even if youre doing under the designed speed limits...

maybe you have a defective tire...maybe a deer runs out in front of you...maybe its a dip in the road that you cant see...all it takes is one little "hiccup" and youre upside down in whats left of a tin can wrapped around a tree on the side of the road

why would you even chance being a statistic?

8. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Yes, but your speed gives you even less time to react to other people's stupid decisions (i.e. - changing lanes, swerving, and stopping for whatever reason). Doing such speeds in a truck on a public road is even worse. There is no such thing as safe speeding. Even driving 70 MPH on the highway is done at your own risk no matter what vehicle you drive.

I have seen what happens when a pickup gets sideswiped at 80 MPH. With no weight in the rear end, too much power, and not enough traction (even on dry roads) - the driver of the 97 F250 rolled the vehicle 3 times before being impaled by a mile marker. The Ford Tempo that swiped him hit the truck enough to knock the rear end loose. The truck swerved back and forth violently and slammed back into the Tempo. The Tempo was pushed back off the highway it was merging onto and hit a barricade head on. The rear passenger was ejected through the windshield because she wasn't wearing a seat belt. The only way I could tell it was a she was because she was wearing pink Nike running shoes. She was 17 years old. I never found out what happened to the two front passnegers.

You may feel like you have a second lease on life, but your recklessness could cost some one else their life. We can't tell you what to do, but coming on here and talking about illegal activity and posting illegal actions wasn't a very bright move on your part.

To answer your question - You can disable the speed limit by reprogramming the ECU or removing the instrument cluster speed sensor pick-up wire.

Think twice before doing this. Is speeding really worth the risk? Are you willing to accept the consequences of killing another person?

9. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    then use your luck at the track!

you have no right to push other peoples "luck", see thats the problem, you are only thinking about yourself, when you endanger the lifes of other people by driving like a nut job on a residential area, thats when it becomes an issue to everybody else.... go buy a modest racing car, alter it all you want, then tow it to the tracks with your powerful Tacoma :)

10. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    Buellie

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Work Truck
    Undercover Bed Cover
    The above post wasn't meant for you tiger...

11. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well yeah if you wanted to take off the limiter, im sure you would have to buy a program that would allow you to go in and change around your computers specs. Mind you my friend did that on his civic and got really shitty gas mileage. he screwed up his gear ratios and everything. but a laptop and a program might do the trick for you

12. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i realize this but my points are still valid

13. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Worst thing that happen to me. 45 MPH in a 94 Chevy Suburban on a highway in Colorado - dry road but snow on the shoulder. I come around a corner and there is a deer. No problem - I am not going fast, I can ease the wheel to the left, let out a little squeal from the tire, and swerve back into the lane.

What I didn't know - I had picked up a nail somewhere on my 3 hour drive back to Denver. My right rear tire suddenly loses all pressure and I am sliding sideways into the deer. Luckily for me the deer moves, but the car coming the other way almost didn't stop. I skid far enough to rip the tire completely off the rim.

Had I been going 5-10 MPH over the limit of 50 MPH, I would hit the deer and skid into the car sideways that was coming at me in the other lane. They never would have seen me because my headlights were pointed at the rock wall on the inside of the left hand curve.

I have 850,000 miles under my belt since learning how to drive at 15 years old. I have tons of these kinds of stories, but I survived them all through defensive driving. The only accidents I have been in were the result of some one hitting me while I was stopped.

Shit happens.

14. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    8112, SPC, Elka 2.0 rear and Icon AAL. About 1.5”
    Wow...

The fact you think your cool speeding through a neighborhood amazes me. Amazes me because you are obviously older but lack common sense. You think its ok to speed and endanger the life of innocent people because you had some innocent that gives you the right to put other people’s lifes in danger.

Haha saying people who don't speed are pussies. You know talking behind a keyboard may entertain you but i doubt your mouth would be as loose in front of my face.

15. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    well, this was fun :locked:

16. Oct 20, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Awe... and I wanted to do that.

...you stole my thunder my friend. ;)

17. Oct 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    The reason this thread was locked is... It clearly talks of excessive speeding on public roads. Asks for a way to bypass the stock speed limiter. A video was posted that depicted excessive speeding on a public road. This topic has been discussed at length with the moderators and admin of TW. It is a case of it is illegal, it is dangerous and it will not be condoned on TW. With that I have gone and deleted the videos from the thread and am now re-re-locking the thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/site-suggestions/6875-no-street-racing-threads.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top