1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review - Husky Floor Liners

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tsilliker, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Feb 17, 2008 at 1:56 PM
    tsilliker

tsilliker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    Here's my review of the Husky floor liners for my 05 Taco access cab. I only bought the two front liners as I rarely have passengers in the back jump seats. I have the standard transmission and I was anxious to see if the liners would interfere with the pedals at all.

I have had them now for a month of dirty winter use in a rural setting. There has been an above average level of snowfall in southern Ontario and I have a dirt and gravel driveway so I tend to track in quite a lot of stuff. In addition to that, my employer goes overboard with salt and this shows in what collects on the mats.

These liners are full coverage, with a molded-to-fit lip all the way around the lower flat portion of the mats to catch any moisture and crud you may track in on your footwear.

Overall, I am pleased with their performance. Fit to the various bumps and protuberances in the footwell area is very good. Without any further ado, here are the pics, followed by some details on their function.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can see, fit is very good on the drivers side. The dead pedal is covered, which is important. Their is a nice lip all around which holds quite a bit of water.

The checkplate pattern is meant to increase traction on the hard plastic, but I still find it somewhat slippery when wet compared to my old soft rubber pantsaver floor mats. Usually just a minor annoyance. Sometimes on long drives, if I am trying to place my legs a certain way while using cruise control, my feet end up slipping and I have to find a different position. Overall, I would rate this annoyance minor in that it is not always noticed, and doesn't usually present a problem. Again, I would point out this only happens when they are wet.

At first, when starting the engine, I found myself having to press a bit harder on the clutch to engage the switch in order to start. The mat might be working in some, or I am becoming accustomed to the level of effort needed because it is happening less often than in the first week or two I was using them.

There is no possible way for any of the pedals to catch on the mat, which is more than I can say for my old generic floor mats.

Once in place, the liners stay fixed in place very well. This is due to the molded fit, and to the sharp nibs on the bottom side which engage very well with the carpet. Here is a pic of that:

[​IMG]

As you can see, my 05 has no pins which stick up from the floor to hold the factory mats. There are two plastic divots that pins from the factory mats rest in. I have heard later models have pins in the floor that might interfere with the mats. I would have snipped them off if I had those.

There are a few bits of dirt that have fallen between the door sill and the liner. This is because the lip of the liner sticks up above the sill plate a bit. This is necessary to hold water, though. These few bits are extremely small in number compared to what the mats have collected.

In the above pic, you can see brown stains on the carpet because my old mats tended to slide to the left leaving that portion of the carpet exposed. Once the weather warms, I will have this area shampooed.

I'll continue the review in the next post due to the five picture limitation of the forum...

2. Feb 17, 2008 at 2:00 PM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    Here are pics of the right side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fit here is also very good. In the last two shots, you can see a kink in the lip on the left side next to the hump. The curvature of the molded sides does not seem to be a precise match to the actual curve of the floor in that one area. It is hardly noticeable. After an initial "tsk tsk" as I was putting the mat in, I promptly forgot about it.

I am very happy to have these puppies in there. Cost was about $125 including taxes from a local van and truck accessories dealer. A worthwhile investment. They come in three colours: black, grey, and tan.

http://www.huskyliners.com/floorliners.html

Site states these are mfg. in the USA.

3. Feb 17, 2008 at 2:03 PM
    Jake

Jake Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab - Silver
    Bed D-Rings, Speaker Upgrade using TacoTunes Kit, Hitch w/ wire kit, Suspension TRB, More mods in process...
    I recentlly purchased the WeatherTech floormat for the front and rear of my 2007 Access Cab and am very pleased with the form/fit/fuction of the mats. My Tacoma gets used on a muddy farm and the floor mats are an important part of maintaining the vehicle. Buy a pair and send your employer the bill for all the salt damage LOL....
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/product.aspx?ItemGroupId=52

4. Feb 18, 2008 at 4:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Husky's are the ONLY ones that I'll buy!!!!! I've had atleast 3 sets of them for 3 different vehicles over a period of 9 years. I absolutely LOVE 'em. When I bought my 07 tacoma - that's the first thing I bought.

I had one tan set in my 96 and I've had a black set in my Dodge Ram, and this current set (black) in my 07 tacoma.

The only issues I've seen...is with my first set which were TAN. Over time, the tan tends to stain (dark/black spots). Soooo...I've only ever purchased black ones since then.

I especially love 'em....cuz they're sooo easy to keep clean. I love the high edges on 'em - I've spilled sodas and the floor mats totally contained the spill).

5. Feb 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM
    JackRabbit

JackRabbit Taco Addict

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4
    mods in sig
    I second the WeatherTechs. There is not floor mat on the market that fits better... I know I looked! The overlapping of the door sill is brilliant!

6. Feb 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    The WeatherTechs are great. The only thing I changed was that I took out those OEM hooks that hold the floor mat, and filled the 2 holes with RTV silicone. Works great. The mats don't slide around at all. Easy to clean. Just spray some soap on em, scrub with a brush, hose off, and dry. Like new again.

Personally, I prefer the black ones, over the grey.

[​IMG]

7. Feb 19, 2008 at 4:45 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I got the Husky floor liners too. One reason I did not get the Weathertechs was because of the many reviews at Autoanything where people had problems with them for various reasons.

I think unless you have had the each floor liner you can't tell which one is best. So I just went with the majority of reviews and the Husky won it.

It's a great floor mat but I would like to see better protection up to the side of the gas pedal, it looks like the weathertech has the same issue in the pictures but can't tell for sure.

8. Feb 19, 2008 at 5:03 AM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    I don't like the partial coverage of the dead pedal of the Weathertech.

Might be fine if you live in the warm city that never sees snow or ice and always park in a garage.

I like to put my foot on the dead pedal when I drive. Snow, and the dirt and salt mixed in with it, will melt out of the boot's tread and onto the dead pedal and end up on the carpet underneath the liner.

That's a deal killer for me.

9. Oct 3, 2008 at 11:13 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i've had Husky's for two years now and am mostly happy with them. i wish they would incorporate some way to attach to the factory hold down. mine tend to slide up just a bit from getting in & out of the truck. other than some minor slippage and as stated above and not enough skinny pedal protection, they have been a great investment.

tip for the gas pedal area: fold up a small towel and tuck it under the gas pedal side of the mat and then the other side up under the HVAC port. works great and has saved that little area a lot of grime.

10. Oct 3, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I have Huskey mats in front and rear. They are the best (IMO) but they dont catch those rogue cigarette cherrys from friends who are waisted and dont even know they have knocked the cherry off.

11. Jan 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    Grover

Grover Active Member

Member:
    Findlay, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab
    Looks jut like the Weathertechs I just got. I've had them a week and I am amazed at how much crap would have been in the carpet. The fit is great and I like the "sweep over" sill.

12. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    I have the WTs in the front which I love, and the Husky liner in the back. I originally went with the Husky heavy duty mats up front (not the liners) but they were a poor fit and didn't even cover up the whole floor.

Products Discussed in

To Top