1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review: Warn Trans4mer Grill/Brush Guard

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by CtryBoyInMT, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Feb 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT [OP] Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I needed a good lightweight, aesthetic and strong permanent winch mount. Didn't like the tubular or the weight of the ARB or All Pro. I think it looks good. I paid $760 to my door off eBay. It's sold in pieces: The Grill Guard, The Brush Guard, and The Winch Carrier. so if you don't like the brush guards or can't afford all at once, knock off $135 and thats about the cheapest winch mount you can get. You know Warn built this. It's really stout. Double gusseted, .25" plate, multiple frame mounting points to eliminate tweaking. Really nice R&D from Warn.
    Put this on about a month ago. Last weekend we setup some half dozen good "I can't believe I'm purposely sticking my truck in here" off angle and/or uphill pulls to test it out (I was testing out the winch too!).
    Only complaint is that the sprayed on enamel sucks. it almost rubs off with a gritted glove and will eventually rust. But I am and always have been planning on rhino lining it, so it really doesn't matter; to me anyway.
    Sorry about the mediocre pictures. I took them about a month ago and now it's too cold and snowy to get good ones. It's not quite as shiny anymore!:D

DSCN1109 (Small).jpg
    DSCN1102 (Small).jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 19, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i love that warn trans4mer!!! looks awesome!! i was thinking of one of those a while back, but got my aries bull bar instead(didnt have the cash for the warn right then:rolleyes:).

i think it will be an awesome idea to rhino line it too. how long did it take to mount it??

3. Feb 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I didn't really remember but judging by the daylight left in the picture and I started at about noon, I'd say 6 hrs. And that included the winch. The Trans4mer itself was probably only 3½ hrs. Believe it or not, the holes were so close in tolerance that it took a long time to install all the bracketry and supports. They tell you to keep all the hbolts loose and I was having a BICH of a time getting the bolts in. But once I started tighten them down one by one per the instructions, I'd periodically hear a metal ping as all the parts magically lined up and it looked great. The winch was a different story. This mount is designed for the Warn's and getting the fair-lead bolts in was nearly impossible. I ended up getting plow bolts (The ones with a very thin head) to fit between the mount and the winch. In the end, it turned out great. And yes, the winch is slow, but I couldn't stall it!

plowbolt.jpg

4. Feb 19, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey man..... a slow winch is a good winch, at least to me anyway!!

5. Feb 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    alextreme76

alextreme76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 265/70/16 Rugged Fails
    i was at desert rat offroad just 5min ago and the guy said the trans4mer doesnt fit the 5lug...i was like what? shouldnt it mount the same on all of them. i'm looking at just getting the brush guard for the truck now and a winch carrier later

6. Feb 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Looks great, I have been kicking the idea around, but didn't like what was out there until now.

7. Feb 23, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    I really can not confirm or deny that it will fit a 5 lug.:confused: I do have 6 lug tires, but through the whole process of calling around to all the various manufacturers, including Warn, None have asked if it was a 5 or 6 lug. From my up close and personal installation; I cannot see where it would make a difference. All 6 mounting points bolt to the main frame rail. My recommendation is to contact Warn Cust. Service and ask them. 1.800.543.9276

8. Feb 23, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    alextreme76

alextreme76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 265/70/16 Rugged Fails
    thanks dude!

9. Feb 23, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    This looks good too.

Like you, I don't want tubular and the weight of the ARB.

Can you tell me the weight of the transformer in total, W/O the winch? What I mean is the weight of the grill, brush guard, and winch mount in total, but not with the winch.

Do you feel that it's sturdy to push another vehicle with, like a police cruiser's push bar?

Also, can you price out each component:

Winch mount
    Grill guard
    Brush guard

Thanks

10. Feb 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    The total shipping weight was 130 Lbs. for the Grill,Brush & Carrier.

[quote]Do you feel that it's sturdy to push another vehicle with, like a police cruiser's push bar?[/quote]

Yes it's definitely sturdy enough. Heck, It's designed to mount the Warn 9.5si! But there is no rubber pads on the front, but that can be an easy fix with some U or T shaped rubber molding.

Grill guard was $499.99
    Brush guard was $106.99
    Winch mount was $105.99
    I had combined shipping of all 3 items, so if you order individually, you may pay more for the shipping.

TcBOB... If I can't give a referral here, please remove the following from this post:

The best price I found (to my door) is from GotChrome on eBay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Feb 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    So, I thought that the winch mount was the basis or mounting point of the grill guard and the brush guard.

So, if I'm never going to want or need a winch, all I need is the grill guard and the brush guard and they can both mount on the vehicle w/o the winch mount, correct?

So in the Warn's case it would be $600, but if I got a WAAG it's going to be $500. Oh decisions.

12. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    Grill Guard is Mandatory. Includes the mounting hardware (Including the two diagonal braces for the winch mount.), the uprights and two horizontal cross tubes.

Brush guard includes the two loops that protect the headlight area.

Winch mount is just the cradle that the winch sets in and bolts between the uprights.

(I think it would look a bit naked on the bottom without any winch cradle or at least a crossbar down that low, but I didn't have mine setup that way for more than a few Min's and didn't even picture it without the winch cradle)

WAAG makes a good product. I modified the one on my 97 Tacoma to work along with the hidden hitch receiver. I didn't want to push another vehicle with it, but it did the job. Only dislike is that the WAAG vibrated when at hwy speeds and that always bugged me to the day I traded the truck. They all may not do that cause I cut, bent and welded a few pieces to get it to work along with the front receiver. Maybe it would have anyway. I have no proof either way. But it's all about practicality. The Warn isn't going to win any beauty contests, That is for sure! It's purely function. Large ½" grade 8 hardware isn't pretty to an artists eye, but it is functional.

13. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK.

:)This thread is valuable to me and thanks again for all the info.

Truly appreciated.

14. Mar 2, 2008 at 4:37 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    ADDENDUM:

I got an email from WAAG regarding the ability to push other vehicles with it. They state that they have not done such testing and do not recommend it.

I'm sticking to Warne.

15. Mar 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    I got my Trans4mer line-X coated yesterday. The same material used in truck beds. Unlike my other posts, I don't have any durability comments as it's only been 24 hrs. The applicators were very helpful and spared no expense to make sure that it was going to work out the way I wanted it. (Thinner in close clearance area's, thicker in high wear areas, etc...) It cost $162 out the door.
    They also said their product can be used on our truck beds (plastic), but since they had yet to do one, I didn't want to be a test truck! Maybe they would do my bed 'free of charge' for their demonstration truck. I'm planning on playing that card when the warranty is up!
    Anyway , here are a few pictures of the completed install. Too bad the winch looks like crap now!

DSCN1140 (Small).jpg
    DSCN1143 (Small).jpg

16. Apr 2, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    a31gun

a31gun Member

Member:
    Norman, OK
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4x4
    3", Blisten 5100's, Leer shell, Deckplate w/ K&N, Hella 500FF's in grill, 265 BFG AT's,
    Are the brush guards somewhat beefy enoughy? I have owned a transformer before and didn't purchase the gaurds, because they looked wimpy. I was sixteen at the time though. What gauge tubing is it? I don't remember them being solid.

17. Apr 2, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    nice.....gives it a good rugged look!!! if it was applied right......should stay that way for a long time too!!!

18. Apr 2, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    kingfishndude

kingfishndude NoN Affiliated RedNeck Rebel

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLE Cab Tacoma
    3" lift warn transformer grill guard m8000 winch Smitty built nerf bars TRD off road package full time fog mod daytime running lights Custom made tool box
    Looks nice coated makes me want to do mine that way
    And as for the question is it beefy enough
    I think the frame would bend before the brush guard

19. Apr 2, 2008 at 9:21 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    Just so we're on the same page, the brush guards are only the "hoops" around the headlights and connect to the grill guard (Uprights).As far as whimpy? I'd say no.

But...
    Are they strong enough to stand on? No.
    Will they save your truck from a deer? No.
    Will a WAAG or hunter save your truck from a deer? No.
    Will they protect the headlights from 1" saplings? Yes.

The brush guards are 1.25x.065 tubing. Must likely 1008 steel from my metallurgist eye.
    The Grill guard cross tubes are 1.25"x.125 and 2"x.125. 1008
    The Uprights are .25" plate 1020, along with the mounting hardware and diagonal supports.

And as kingfishndude said, if you are winching, the frame will tweak before the mount does.

20. Jul 27, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    ajviper7

ajviper7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    08 silver TRD OR 4x4 AC
    ctryboyinmt, after you got the whole setup installed on the truck, including winch, did the ride height in the front lower any or did it stay as it was?

Products Discussed in

To Top