1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reviews at Edmunds Scaring me Away

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rctoyguy, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    rctoyguy

rctoyguy [OP] Member

Member:
    Clay, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    12 DC PreRunner Sport
    I am going to be buying a truck in the next couple of weeks, and I have pretty much decided on a 2nd Gen Tacoma. Other options are an F150, Tundra, or possibly Ram.
    Reading through some of the reviews at Edmunds, are there problems with transmissions in Tacomas from 2009 or anytime?
    From what I've read, the Ram is really going to be bad on mpg, so it's probably out - and my wife doesn't really like the look of the Tundra, (she's partial to the F150 or Tacoma).
    Reliability and fuel milage are huge for me, as for most folks, I'd guess. My driving is about 70% highway, with normal homeowner truck use. For a V6 Prerunner, can I realistically expect 20mpg, what about transmission problems? I also read something about frame rust problems..

I'm not dissing the Tacoma at all - I think it's really what I want, I'm just getting cold feet after reading some of this as I'm getting close to purchase time.

I should also say the Edmunds reviews are all great - it's the owner reviews that make me skittish.

2. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Some people dont like how tranny shifts in 2009+ so Toyota has TSB to change pattern. Thats all is to it.

3. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Not realy, you can not expect 20mpg. More like 17-18.
    take care
    vbibi:(

4. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    danb86

danb86 East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    If you really want a Tacoma w/ great mileage, get the 2.7L (4 cylinder) PreRunner. You'll easily get 25 mpg highway...and still have the rear differential locking ability for added traction when you need it.

Get the manual and you won't have to worry about transmission problems.

5. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    While I sort of love my Tacoma, id advise you to really look into the F 150. F 150's are pretty reliable, at least that has been my experience over the years and my friends experience as well. If there is one thing that the americans make well, its the F 150, the other trucks... well, I hate them. Anyhow, you can probably get a pretty good deal on one of those.

Downside is resale though. I bought my Taco a while ago and I can still sell it for the same or a bit more than what I bought it for. So on the resale aspect the Taco is way better. But still, look into the F 150 before making your buy. Don't rely on internet reviews, try the car yourself. Go to a dealer, test a couple of the same models and see how you like the ride. I myself might get a F 150 soon, not sure if im going to keep my Taco. Its been good, but, I expected more.

Also, the GMC Sierra, Denali version looks awesome. Not sure about reliability though, as the only Sierra I can compare is my father's 95ish? Sierra 3500, and it hasn't been the best truck.

6. Mar 1, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    Transmission shifting has been fixed for trucks manufactured after October 2009 (i believe) and any built prior to that can be fixed with a transmission "reflash" under TSB 0393-09. (for 2010 trucks)

I'm averaging 19 mpg on my truck and I drive pretty reserved, no sudden acceleration, mostly highway.

Not sure about rust issues. I've heard about the problems, but I think people up north with snow and road salt have most of the issues.

7. Mar 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I took some time after reading your post to check out those comments on edmunds. Biggest laugh I've had in a long time. It doesn't come with intermittent wipers, not enough room in the backseat, it doesn't shift like my old vehicle...
    You gotta ask yourself why people are buying these vehicles (and they're not cheap) when it doesn't have the options they want or it doesn't drive like they want it to (I have a coworker who buys vehicles without test driving them first, but he doesn't complain). Talk about a bunch of whiners over there. Half of them probably don't even know it has engine braking and as a result think there's something wrong with their trannys!

8. Mar 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My 09 shifts great, no problems or complaints. MPG's, I get 18-22 depending If I can keep my foot out of it. :D

9. Mar 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    dont ever ever go by edmunds....most corrupt auto reveiwer of them all.

10. Mar 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    never heard that. you have a recommendation?

11. Mar 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    They lied, or they just dont know. I had the TSB for rough shift done on my 09 like night & day so much smoother now.

12. Mar 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    [​IMG]

13. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i averaged 20.3 MPG in my prerunner access cab V6 w/ 245/75/16 passenger tires. i also had a 2.5" front lift on it as well, so that is possible, but most guys get around 18 or so.

14. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    nxtruck

nxtruck Member

Member:
    I was behind a an older style ram today (in NE) on the way to work. It had a hole rusted through the bumper that was bigger than a softball.

15. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    Just filled my truck up, 342 miles with 16 gallons of gas. 50-50 city/ hwy...........21 MPG...............I get consistant 19 around where I live. I have gotten 22 on the hwy with similiar mix of city and hwy. I think I could do alot better if I was on the interstate traveling on a long trip. My truck is a V6 prerunner

Mike

16. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    :burnrubber: 20 mpg for my 09 dc auto,trans shifts good

17. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    A full size or a compact....I dunno, pick the one that suits you.
    A Ford or Toyota, both have their issues, I'd pick the lesser of the two evils and go with a Toyota. I'd do it again and again. Regardless of what the issue is. Hell, now is a great time to buy something while it's cheaper. Buy the Toyota.

18. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    Consumer reports: Tacoma:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Road Test
    crew cab Base V6
    Based on the 4Runner and Lexus GX470 SUVs, the Tacoma has shed some of its workaday roots. Improved are the powertrain, steering system, and interior trim. Fuel economy is quite competitive among pickup trucks, and handling is secure. However, the ride is not as comfortable as some competitors and the driving position is not ideal. Payload capacity is relatively small. A rear-view camera is optional; front side- and curtain-air bags as well as stability control are standard.
    The Driving Experience

The ride is stiff, particularly with the TRD off-road package. The highway ride is no better, but a 500-pound load in the bed improves things a bit. The ride is slightly better with the standard suspension. Wind and engine noise are noticeable, particularly under acceleration. Routine handling is good, with limited body lean and responsive, but somewhat vague, steering. At its cornering limits, the Tacoma was clumsy but secure. It attained a competitive speed in our avoidance maneuver, but it did not inspire confidence. Stability control is standard for 2009. The 4.0-liter V6 provides strong performance while returning a respectable 17 mpg in mixed driving. The five-speed automatic is smooth and responsive. The 4WD system is part-time only. The locking rear differential of the TRD package helped the Tacoma ace our off-road courses. It pulled our 5,000-pound trailer to 60 mph in a fast 17.7 seconds. Overall braking was very good. The low-beam headlights illuminate only a limited distance.
    Inside The Cabin

There's hard plastic in the interior, but it's attractive, of good quality, and is well-fitting. The roomy cockpit provides a good view out behind the tilt and telescopic steering wheel, but the seat is low and can't be raised, and some found it uncomfortable. The rear seat is a bit cramped, with little thigh support. A high step-in makes front access difficult and narrow doors hamper rear access. The design and location of most controls are good, and the gauges are legible. The controls mounted on the steering wheel are lighted at night. The sliding rear window lacks a defroster. Storage in the cab is moderate. The 60/40-split rear seats fold to create more space once you remove the head restraints. The composite bed has a rail system that adjusts tie-down cleat position. A full-sized spare sits below the truck. With the removable tailgate open, the bed will support an item 80.0 inches long. Payload capacity is a low 1,100 pounds, but its 6,500-pound tow rating is better than many competing models.
    Safety Notes

Head-protecting curtain air bags and side air bags are standard beginning with the 2009 model year. They supplement required front air bags and front three-point seatbelts, which are equipped with pretensioners and force limiters to reduce belt slack and forces in the event of a crash and adjustable upper anchors for improved fit. An occupant classification system in the front passenger seat monitors the weight of whoever is seated there and will activate the front air bags only when someone of adult size is present. Front air bags and pretensioners will also not deploy if the front passenger seat is not occupied. A driver's seat position sensor and driver and front passenger seatbelt usage sensors also influence the correct level of air bag deployment. Rear passengers each have a three-point seatbelt.
    There are adjustable, locking head restraints in all seating positions, but the center rear restraint is not tall enough even when raised to adequately reduce rearward head travel and whiplash for taller passengers. The Tacoma now comes with active front restraints which move forward in response to the occupant's pressure on the seatback; this further reduces head travel and whiplash injury. Daytime running lights an extra-cost option. Driving with kids: Some rear-facing infant seat bases may tilt easily when installed in the rear seats using the seatbelts. Front-facing and rear-facing convertible seats should prove secure; there are tether anchor points at the rear wall of the cab behind each rear seat. Access to the tether anchors is awkward as it requires pulling the seatback forward to reach them. There are LATCH anchors in each outboard rear seat which are shallow and easy to access.
    Reliability

We expect reliability to be better than average, according to our latest subscriber survey.
    Tested model: 2005 Base crew cab 4WD, 4.0-liter V6, 5-speed automatic
    Major options: TRD off-road pkg., 6-disc CD
    This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.

19. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    consumer reports: F-150:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Road Test
    crew cab XLT V8

For 2009, Ford made many revisions to the F-150. Braking is improved, a six-speed automatic transmission boosts fuel economy, and the cabin is quieter. Standard stability control makes the handling more secure. A spacious interior and deep bed are also pluses. But the ride is stiff, and the engine sounds unrefined when pressed. Crash-test results have been impressive. The F-250 Super Duty (which we also tested) is based on Ford's commercial truck platform, and is different from the F-150. It's a work truck with moderate payload but great towing capabilities and little else to recommend it. It has a lousy ride and mediocre brakes.
    The Driving Experience

The F-150 rides stiffly, with typical truck-like jiggles and small bounces. Though not exactly serene, the ride smoothes out a lot at highway speeds. The cabin stays very quiet, except for a gritty engine hum. Despite well-weighted steering and modest body roll, the F-150 feels a little clumsy in everyday driving and the steering delivers little feedback. Its wide turning circle makes parking a chore. When pushed hard at our track, it reached its limits early but proved ultimately secure negotiating our avoidance maneuver. A 5.4-liter V8 delivers 320 horsepower and performs well. Expect 14 mpg overall on regular fuel. The F-150 pulled our 6,400-pound trailer to 60 mph in 16 seconds, a strong performance. The six-speed automatic shifts smoothly, and the extra gears enhance performance and economy. The 4WD system can't stay engaged fulltime; you have to opt for the $45,000 Harley-Davidson edition to get AWD. Braking performance is much improved over the previous F-150's, but pedal feel was a little vague. The headlight's low beams have good width and distance but limited intensity. High beams have good distance, but intensity is no better.
    Inside The Cabin

Most interior trim fits well and feels solid, but the plastics are mostly hard to the touch, there are many different grains and colors, and switch gear feels a little flimsy. The optional running boards aid access, but it's still a climb. The spacious cabin affords lots of room to stretch out. The power seat provides multiple adjustments. The F-150 has power-adjustable pedals, but some drivers still found them too close. They also found that the non-telescoping steering wheel, which tilts in coarse steps, was too far away. Wide roof pillars create some unwanted blind spots. The shoulder belt is a long reach back and rubbed against some drivers' necks.
    The firm front seats are well shaped, with good lateral support. Their long cushions, though, make them better for tall people. The rear seats fit three adults with ease, providing generous leg and head room. Three adults can sit across the rear bench seat without any side contact. Cabin storage is generous. Controls are mostly straightforward, but the gauges lack daytime contrast. The Sync voice-control system for portable audio devices and cell phones works well. The F-150's cargo bed is deep, but its high sides can make loading and unloading difficult. Among helpful options are retractable side steps and a ladder that pulls out from the tailgate.
    Safety Notes

Front seatback-mounted side-impact air bags and curtain head-protection air bags -- which deploy to protect front- and rear-outboard occupants -- are standard. They supplement required front-impact air bags and three-point seatbelts for all seats. Front-row seatbelts have adjustable upper anchors for a more comfortable and safe fit, and are equipped with pretensioners to reduce slack in the belts in the event of a crash. A driver's seat position sensor and front passenger's seat weight sensors influence the most appropriate level of air bag deployment. The passenger sensing system is designed to detect if the occupant is too small or not sitting in the seat properly, and will disable the front- and side-air bags for that seating position. There are adjustable and locking head restraints in front- and second-row outboard positions. Even when they're fully lowered, the front-row head restraints are tall enough to provide sufficient protection from rearward head travel for most passengers. Rear-seat outboard head restraints must be raised to adequately protect taller passengers. The rear center seat lacks a head restraint and the seatback is too low to provide any protection. Daytime running lights are available.

Driving with kids: Most should find that both rear- and forward-facing child seats fit and install easily in the F-150, either with the seatbelts or LATCH. The lower-LATCH anchors in the rear outboard seats are visible and easy to access; there are top-tether loops behind each rear seat. Attaching the top-tether does require routing it through to the adjacent seat but is clearly explained in the owner's manual. The Ford manual also indicates that the inboard lower anchors may be used for installing LATCH seats in the center-rear position for seats equipped with flexible LATCH straps if it's allowed by the child restraint manufacturer. Ford is also one manufacturer that clearly outlines recommendations for child restraint installation methods in their manuals based on the child's weight.
    Reliability

We expect reliability to be average, according to our latest subscriber survey.
    Tested model: 2009 XLT crew cab 4WD, 5.4-liter V8, 6-speed automatic
    Major options: 5.4-liter V8, SYNC, trailer tow pkg and brake controller, adjustable pedals, power seat, captains chairs, power rear window, 20" wheels.
    This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.

20. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    Yes the tranny on my 09 held in 1st like i was taking off to the moon. but i took it in and they performed a tsb and now it rides smooth.all the trans problems are fixed.

Products Discussed in

To Top