1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Revive 2001 Passat

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by boshak, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    boshak

boshak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    I can potentially get a 2001 Passat for 'free'. Here's the downfall - it's been sitting for approximately 3 years and not properly stored. The front passenger side of the car has been in a fender bender. After the accident, the CEL's made my girlfriend's family keep it in the garage.

I'm in need of a 2nd car. I just recently quit my job to pursue my MBA in Spring 2013. This means time to revive the Passat is not an issue but money is limited. I'd like to keep this 'project' under $1,500-$2,000. Do you think this is possible and/or worth it?

I've got an Ultra Gauge to help diagnose the CEL's... I'm hoping the 2001 Passat's come with an OBD II port.

Also, where to start? Assuming drain and replenish all fluids? Fuel filter and pump? Tires?

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Make sure you get out as much gas as possible from the tank and replace the fuel filter. Gas is a corrosive and with so much time just sitting, you may have a bit of sediment that you don't want getting into the engine. I would also consider starting the vehicle with a new battery (thought I read about this somewhere once...).

Yep, change the oil. You may end up replacing urethane seals throughout the engine and components because they will be brittle with this much time passed without being lubricated. Also, tires... probably have to replace those too, especially if it hasn't been moved in a long while... the tires with be deformed to some degree.

Good luck. You're on the right start. I think you'll be able to get her running for within your estimated $ limit and have a great car.

Products Discussed in

To Top