1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RileySB's 2013 OR Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by rileySB, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Jun 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    5100/887, Dakars, 285s, Built Right UCAs, Icon rears
    Took her out today. Was planning to go out to Gorman/Hungry Valley and run some trails. Been itching to get out in the woods and hit the dirt! Instead, drove up into Mt Pinos area and scouted some runs. Pretty cool area especially since it was 95 degrees at 5pm in Gorman. It was literally cool, about mid 70s with a nice breeze up in the mountains above Mt Pinos in the woods. One trail specifically had some cool spurs including a black difficulty trail- super steep, loose and full of ruts and rocks. Decided NOT to get stuck and opted not to try it. It was off Tecuya Mtn Rd off Mt Pinos Rd. Then took Lockwood Valley Rd back to Hwy 33 back home to SB. Really cool area, definitely want to go back. Tons of dirt trails with some legit difficult trails. Only downside, is it gets hot, it's super dry and there is no water anywhere. But I like that it's close to home.

^ This is on Yellow Jacket trail. Rated green to yellow but it was mainly a graded fire road (I didn't do the whole thing)

^ This is up on Tecuya Mtn Rd. Overlooking Lockwood Valley and The Lake of the Woods (but there is no lake WTF)
    This week I plan on getting rid of some of the rust that has taken over my undercarriage and my sliders. Just surface stuff but time to put in some elbow grease to get a metal brush on it and spray it with Rust Converter. Fun.

Crom likes this.
  2. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    jokercykoe

jokercykoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD-Offroad 4x4 in MGM
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper Pelfreybilt Sliders Pelfreybilt IFS + Mid skid Relentless Fab Bed Bars IVD full suspension Tepui Kukenam Sky RTT Matt Gecko Bedrail LEDs Cobra 75 + Firestick
    Nice! I need to do the same with the rust converter.

3. Jun 18, 2015 at 1:12 AM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    I have done it and it was not worth the time to go get the permit. Flat graded fire road, and I was bored. These pics were from the Lockwood Valley area and mt pinos. Lot of good 4x4 camps to plan an overnight off reading trip

4. Jun 18, 2015 at 1:43 AM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    Nice Tacoma and build thread Gen!

rileySB[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 18, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    if you want to do it just to say you did it, you have to drive into downtown Ojai off the 150 to the ranger station and give some basic info and they give you a permit and the combo to the lock and off you go. but its just a pain since i came from SB and drove up the 33 to the wheeler gorge station which was closed just to go back into ojai and then drive back up the 33. I'm more into more technical trails and views and safe to say I was disappointed! There is a cool platform thing at the southern end that used to be the lookout tower that offers nice views and you can camp up on it (2 stories high).

6. Jun 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Gen looking for some trail info up in your area. I will be visiting my sister in Santa Maria in a couple of weeks and would like to get on some trails above SB or close to SM with some great views. Looking for some fun stuff for my 2wd. Would love to do some more tech 4x trails but solo runs away from home make me a little nervous.

7. Jun 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Agree on Zaca catway. Pretty neat trail but very mild. You can also do West camino Cielo- gives you a great view of the Pacific from high up in the mountains. Or go down East Camino Cielo to the hot springs. You could always take the 166 to 33 to 5 home- pretty backcountry drive and takes you right by Gorman where you can practice you skills on tons of trails with ratings.

SKULLY likes this.
  8. Jul 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Thanks for the info! Prob gonna check out Camino Cielo...views sound awesome

9. Jul 13, 2015 at 12:19 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    So just looking at west camino cielo....I could just start at Refugio state beach....go up Refugio rd to all the way to Refugio Pass and jump on west camino cielo all the way down to the 154? Any craft bar/restaurants in SB to recommend? Thanks again!

@rileySB @inv3ctiv3

10. Oct 7, 2015 at 12:30 AM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Bought some new tires- Duratrac 285/75/16s. We shall see how the new height affects MPG and if I need to do the CMC. But the other tires were getting a bit bald and I'm finally ready to move up in size! Such a hard decision between Duratrac and the new BFG KO2. I ended up going Duratracs because of the increased tread depth and the fact that they just look mean. Who knows, I may end up going back to the BFGs on the next round... Hopefully get them installed this week and pics up by the weekend!

Crom likes this.
  11. Oct 7, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    It's great to get new shoes! I did the same a few months ago. Stepped up to tall and skinny 33's.

12. Oct 8, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Got the tires installed, truck looks awesome! took it to Firestone to get it aligned since I have their lifetime alignment- tech tells me that the flange of metal that sits next to the alignment bolt is messed up and won't hold camber. The best he could get was 1.5. Because the metal piece is gone. I don't know how that happened- last time I brought my truck in they got it true to spec 0 for camber and toe and 3 for caster.
    The only thing I can think of is that I nailed a juvenile bear going 40mph (tagged it with the front right part of my stock bumper) and even though there was no visible damage except for a tiny dent in the plastic bumper, it must have shook up my front bumper/steering enough to snap that metal piece off? Still has me scratching my head

Long story short- anyone know of this I a part I can buy and have installed by the shop or is it a welded on piece of the frame? The tech was saying I should just find a welder to weld the miniature flange back on. Any thoughts from the local guys? @inv3ctiv3

Another thing, I never reported the collision to my insurance bc I thought it was so minor. Should I (and better yet) can I make a claim almost 90 days later?

13. Oct 8, 2015 at 7:43 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Very common problem to flatten out the cam tabs. Mine are all messed up too. Total Chaos makes some cam tab gussets that you can purchase for $85? They will permanently fix this issue. They must be welded on. It's on my to do list for my truck too...

Crazy about the bear! lol

14. Oct 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Thanks for the input Crom! Big help. Until I get it fix, is there a temporary solution to fixing flattened cams? What are you doing in the meantime (since it's still on your to-do list)? Got new tires and they rub LIKE CRAZY :( 285s. I barely turn the wheel like 30 degrees and it rubs like a mofo. How did some people on here get by with 285s without doing the CMC? Just bend the fenders back?

15. Oct 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    New shoes. Obligatory gas station pic
    43316 miles

16. Oct 9, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I'm not even driving my truck right now because of the flattened cam tabs, sucks. My TC tabs are sitting on my workbench just haven't found time to grind the old ones off and get the new ones welded up. Not sure there is an interim solution, you'll have to get it aligned again after you finish getting the cam tab back on.

17. Oct 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    That sucks. I just don't want to prematurely ruin my tires by driving them a lot with crapoy alignment. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the tabs and find a local shop to take apart the LCA and remove/replace the tabs

18. Oct 9, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4

19. Oct 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Tires look good! I really liked my dura dracs & the only reason I didn't get another set was the release of the new KO2's.
    You can trim all the plastic where it rubs real easily with a razor. I did the CMC but only really rubbed on the cab mount at full lock with the wheels stuffed when I was wheeling. Seems crazy that you are rubbing that much when turning 30 degrees. What is he back spacing and off set of the wheels you run? Might have to run some wheel spacers. Could also be the nubs on the dura Tracs are rubbing on the spindle. I know mine were pretty close.

20. Oct 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I took a heavy punch and mallet and bent the tabs back in place. It's a good temp fix until I can get a welder. My truck is aligned to spec except caster, cause I have stock uca. I have the tall and skinny 33's )255/85/16, so a lot less headaches than the 285 wider tire.

If I had the 285, I'd do the CMC in a hurry.

Products Discussed in

To Top