1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RN or Database Management

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by tacoma4x4girl, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    tacoma4x4girl

tacoma4x4girl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I need some thoughts here...

I picked to start prerequisites for RN this August and I know that I have to work hard and my GPA will determine if I make the actual nursing school next fall, but I also have to go through a panel interview. I'm just a little nervous what if I do good, but still don't make it.

I was so nervous about that I had looked at Database Management before the RN, but I've heard you just won't make much money with just an Associate degree in a computer field.

Am I choosing the right thing with the RN?

I want to have a job after college(not wondering where can I use this degree at) and I want to make decent money. I'm single and I want to always have my Tacomas and fix them up and all that so I want a job that I can have what I want if I always do stay single.

I just wanted some last minute thoughts.....

2. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    check out www.dice.com and see what most companies are looking for in the database administrator/management field. db admins can make a lot of money, but i'm not sure what the hiring and degree requirements would be

3. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    RN. You can take that anywhere in the world and work. Opens far more doors for you. However you'll be mocked by EMS personnel everywhere for calling them in to do spinal immobilization for your PT who walked in from an MVA.

Do the nursing. Seriously.

4. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:

Thank you!

5. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    I agree with what Krazie said. I am an RN, and I dont regret my career path at all. Its such a diverse field you can really do anything or work anywhere. You will never have trouble finding a job.

6. Jul 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:
    Thanks! I'm just a lil nervous since I don't want to make a mistake

7. Jul 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    CJH9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    Its a big decision, but you won't regret it. Put in a little hard work, and you'll be well rewarded!

8. Jul 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:

I know they are paid well for the hard work and that's worth it. I can't make that much with out college and some would take at least 4 years too.

9. Jul 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    CJH9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Once you get your initial degree, lots of doors will open for you to get advanced degrees and certifications. It's nice because there's always options as far as what you want to do; you never get burned out.

10. Jul 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    H Bomb

H Bomb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SAS'd 92 Pickup/08 SR5 Tacoma
    Do you have experience with nursing or anything nursing related? I wanted to be an RN. So, I went and got my CNA license first while in college. Then after working briefly as a CNA, I realized that I disliked dealing with people in that way...especially sick people. I'm just lucky that I had a different subject to fall back on. Just a thought...

11. Jul 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:
    Nope I sure don't. I never thought about doing that.

12. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Oh in the medical profession you'll make mistakes. And it'll scare the ever loving shit out of you. But you'll learn and you'll never make that mistake again. It happens, but you move on from it.

13. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    RN...IMO. Lots of Database Mgmt people out there. Now, if you were talking about Database Development, and truly had an affinity for this--it's not for everyone, you could make a buttload of money--easy six figures, $75+/hr (my sis-in-law is one of the best in this field and makes $135/hr before bonus). That being said, all the nurses I have ever known (more than casually) had nothing but positive things to say about their career choice. Good luck!

14. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    What do you WANT to do? Do you want to help people? or do you want to "play" with computers?

15. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    I cannot imagine a job with more flexibility than nursing. Even if you one day get tired of direct care, insurance companies use RNs. Our anesthesia group employs several in interesting ways. Our hospital is going to computer charting and there are many nurses going that route dealing with data management. You can choose to be a FT employee or do locums as a 1099 and travel all over.

16. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Can't help with the computer job, but I can recommend nursing as a career choice. It's something I could not do, but my mom has been an RN for 36 years. She has had the same job at the same hospital for the last 20 years or so.

She's never had any fear of being laid off, no lack of hours, plenty of overtime when she wants it, and after gaining seniority, no forced overtime that I've ever heard of. Sometimes she'll work late a couple of hours, but no forced extra shifts. Three twelve to fourteen hour shifts a week is fulltime where she works. So, four days off a week is normal.

I believe she's over 40 bucks an hour before overtime. She LOVES getting called in for an extra shift! Union has negotiated a nice pay plan for those call-ins. I forget the details, but it's all time and a half and you get paid a good minimum just to show up. The only people I know that make more money than she does work in nuclear power, or own a successful business.

There are many travel nurses out there as well. There is such a shortage of nurses that the hospitals have to bring them in from out of the area. Mom says they all get paid as much as she does, plus they have a housing allowance. I do appliance repair, and I get to see where these nurses are living on their housing allowance. Think ocean view property:cool:. All while they are paying their own bills back home as well.

We've got a nursing program at the local community college, and the local hospitals STILL have problems keeping a full staff of RNs.

17. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    tacoma4x4girl

Member:

Does it happen alot? That will scare me to death!!! All my dad said is just make sure you know what your doing cause everything you do is dealing with someone's life. He suggested I do this right out of high school.. Only if I would have listened....

18. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Hell no. But you will make mistakes and you'll learn.

19. Jul 3, 2012 at 1:56 AM
    TakDwn

TakDwn Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC V6 Shortbed 4x4
    Bili's all around, front 5100's at 1.75", rear TSB w/AAL, 265x75/16 BFG AT, Wheelers steelies Type B 4" bs, LEER cap, Tinted, Relentless hybrid sliders welded, Cab mount chop, Plastic trimming, Sock retros, Mirror lift, Satoshi with old school emblem, WeatherTechs, Mudlaps gone, RedLine hood struts, Fumoto valve, Tailgate clamped, Console organizer, Mobtown Offroad Front Recovery Bar
    Definately, without a doubt, Nursing.
    No matter what area of the country I live in - I have a well paying job.
    No matter how much the economy tanks - I have a well paying job.
    When I wanted to travel - I got a well paying job with a travel nursing company. 12 weeks snowboarding in Colorado. 12 weeks surfing in California. The travel company paid for my 2 bedroom condo, gave me $150/wk for food, and paid me a nice salary.
    Always availablity for OT and extra hours.
    Always have had self scheduling. Work 3, 12 hour shifts per week. Off 4 days each week.
    You'll also meet many great people. Co-workers getting together after work and on weekends for parties, cookouts, camping, offroading, biking, wine tasting, etc.
    Can't imagine doing anything else. :D

20. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    CRNA....maybe RN along the way????

To Top