1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road trip in the 2nd gen

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by randomguy, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Aug 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM
    randomguy

randomguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dalles, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 T4R 4x4 MGM
    I thought some folks might enjoy some data and a trip report. The wife and I camped our way from home(The Dalles, OR) to the Badlands National Park in South Dakota and back again.

My truck is a 2014 DCSB Sport 4x4 with the 6 speed with the soon to be replaced stock Dungflop Grandtreks. The truck has a Snugtop Rebel on it and with half a tank of fuel, the wife and I, and all of our gear it weighed approximately 5400 pounds(according to the truck scale). Total miles traveled was 2899.9. The truck consumed 133.084 gallons of fuel for an average MPG of 21.8. The highest MPG observed was 25.4 and the lowest was 18.0. The high is easily explained and came from traveling through central Montana. The low was from hauling ass on I-90 in an 80 mph zone with an additional 2 passengers(total of 4 occupants).

The vast majority of the miles traveled were on state and US highway and not interstate. Average highway speed was 60 mph though at least 25% of the miles were over 70 mph. When we're road tripping we like to enjoy the scenery and you see a lot more going the old highways at a slower pace.

I run 91-92 octane "Top Tier" fuels almost exclusively. The exception was the two tanks of fuel I bought in South Dakota I bought 87 as even mid grade is insanely over priced in SD. My mileage and power suffered for it and I experienced some mild pinging on Highway 16 outside of Custer. Needless to say the next tank I paid the 80 cent gouging for premium. I've never had pinging prior to this trip and have experienced it three times now, all going up hill in 5th or 6th gear, including nearly a thousand miles since it was first experienced.

My truck is now just shy of 30k and I will be doing the 30k service this weekend. I'll probably be having new tires put on the truck this week as the Dungflops really suck. I've know that for a while but after experiencing the gravel roads in the Bad Lands after a rain storm I realized I needed to replace them sooner than later.

Overall after this trip I still really love my Tacoma and it is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. A little more space would be nice but once I get the basket installed on the canopy that will really help.

Now for some pics :)

IMG_1029(2).jpg
    Little Bighorn Memorial

IMG_1032(2).jpg
    Camping at Redshale CG near Ashland, MT. We traveled part of the way with my inlaws and their little Toyota based class C.

IMG_1035 (3).jpg IMG_1037(1).jpg IMG_1044(1).jpg
    Devil's Tower

IMG_1047(1).jpg
    Panorama of the Homestake pit in Lead, SD

IMG_1056(3).jpg IMG_1078(1).jpg IMG_1080(1).jpg IMG_1149(1).jpg
    Camping at Sage Creek in the Badlands NP. The buffalo were pretty indifferent to the presence of people. The last photo was taken on our last morning camped here. I was enjoying my coffee in the shade of the inlaw's motorhome when a bull came within 20 feet. I remained seated as I figured it was best not to make any sudden movements.

IMG_1094(1).jpg IMG_1113(1).jpg IMG_1120(1).jpg IMG_1129(1).jpg
    Badlands NP.

IMG_1105(1).jpg
    Tacoma in Badlands NP with Badlands mud on it.

IMG_1084(1).jpg
    Minuteman Missile National Historic Site(I failed to take many pics, our guide was so good I forgot).

IMG_1153(1).jpg
    Mount Rushmore

IMG_1164(1).jpg
    Cave bacon at Jewel Caves National Monument. No other decent pics. I really enjoyed the scenic tour and it was well worth the $12.

IMG_1166(1).jpg
    Somewhere on Highway 26 on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming.

IMG_1169(1).jpg
    Crossing the continental divide heading home.

IMG_1173(1).jpg
    Grand Teton was entirely smoked in. There were several fires burning nearby.

IMG_1177(1).jpg
    Fall Creek Falls on the Snake River near Swan Valley, ID. The campground here is great and the falls incredible.

IMG_1181(1).jpg
    Prototype nuclear jet engines at EBR-1. EBR-1 was really cool and something I wanted to visit since my last road trip across Idaho to Yellowstone.

Road tripping in the Tacoma is good times. About the only thing I could wish for is a telescoping steering wheel.

2. Aug 25, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Love it, looks like a great trip!

3. Aug 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Looks like you had fun.

4. Aug 26, 2016 at 6:09 AM
    FrostbitTaco

FrostbitTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma AC TRD Off road
    Nice pics! Ill be heading out there next month actually! Not taking the Taco but still.

We are hitting Devils Tower, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. Ugh forest fires.

5. Aug 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    randomguy

randomguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dalles, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 T4R 4x4 MGM
    You'll enjoy the trip even with the smoke. I will say if you're camping try to stick to the NPS operated sites(non reservable) as Xanterra does an absolutely horrible job maintaining their sites.

Products Discussed in

To Top