1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ROAD WARRIORS

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by DWreck, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    DWreck

DWreck [OP] Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Who's watching Road Warriors on Spike? I might be in a future episode.

2. Jun 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Just watched it. Was awesome! What're you doing in the future episode?

3. Jun 24, 2011 at 3:44 AM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Pulling broke cars out. At the Mint 400 a film helicopter was following my for a good 5 minutes while I had a car on the strap. I'll be retrieving again at the Midnight race coming up July 30.

4. Jun 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Oh, sweet! One of their upcoming shows is this past Baja 500, and they filmed it in 3D!! What'd you think of the show, btw? How do you get to be a truck that yanks stuck cars?

5. Jun 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    I was digging the show mucho.

You need to volunteer. The Associations that put on these races don't have deap pockets by any means. I volunteer for both SNORE and BITD. Volunteer info can be found on both of their websites BITD.com and Snoreracing.net. You'll most likely start out as a flagman, taking times and recording car numbers as they pass. I have done this for both. After a few races I was familiar with radio chatter and how the race goes down. I simply asked to be a retrieval for the next race and they said yes. BITD on the other hand, you need to prove yourself. All the guys that do retrievals for them have known each other many years and have been in the game for 10+ years.

And of course you'll need a vehicle that is capable. Not only do you have to tow a vehicle on a strap but you also have to do it on a torn up course. At the last race, I drug skid nearly the whole time pulling a car 7 miles out of the rock garden. On top of that, it's usually not a 2-lane road. You have to see a racer coming and jump out of the way with the dissabled car still on the hook. This means jumping berms and bush bashing. I was actually very surprised how the Taco did though. Sure I drug skid, bumper, etc., but i never had an issue with power, even when I missed a shift going uphill with a car on the hook and one coming at 60mph. I actually had a driver tell me he was buying a Taco when he got back home because it was so impressive. I'd like to give some credit to my driving skills...

Anyway, It's definately a blast if you're interested. Even as a flagman you may get some rollovers or accidents in your corner. Your job then is to report it over the radio, run to the vehicles and make sure all racers are okay, then run back to the radio and report it, then ask for a retrieval if necessary. So it can be exciting no matter what you do.

6. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    That sounds pretty damn cool! I'm running a stock truck at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to do too much. Come the fall, though, I'll be doing a serious upgrade. I'll look more into SNORE and BITD. Thanks for the info!!

7. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    i tivo'd the show... havent watched it yet

8. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    ^^ Check it out - I wanna hear what people think. It's not a way I've seen any off-road race filmed before.

9. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    tiresmokintacoma

tiresmokintacoma Bean&Cheese Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    VIC
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR Prior: 99LX470/05DCOR97LX450/914R
    Basic
    when do these shows come on? that was i cam dvr it

10. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    As of right now, it won't be aired again, but that could change, especially if enough people write Spike asking for it to be aired.

It was a "one-off" show that got packaged with the sale of another one, so SPIKE was obligated to air it. They unfortunately stuck it at a weird hour. I think they underestimated it, off road fans, and didn't know what they had. But another WAS ordered to be shot in 3D, and it will be airing on Epix (company owned by Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM) in the next four or five months.

Here's the trailer: http://www.race-dezert.com/home/roadwarriors-to-debut-on-spike-19509.html

11. Jun 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Dang Carcharius. You know more about it than I. Why aren't you the OP? Lol.

Nelson18Matt, think "Dust to Glory".

12. Jun 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    lolol I just read the entertainment trades too much, or something... :wink:

Yeah, like "From Dust to Glory", but imo faster and more exciting. It's not a full-fledged documentary like FDtG - you like that doc?

13. Jun 25, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    It was good. RW is bettah!

Products Discussed in