1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roadtrip across country, need some advice on firearms.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by t.hornstra, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    Hey all, heading out to Ft. Benning early next year. I will be leaving late Feb and making my way to report to benning on March 3rd.

I have made a generic route I would like to take, with destinations and stops to see friends, family, and sights.

I will be taking a truck load, since I will be out in GA for nearly 9 months. I do plan on taking my glock. My question is what are the best ways, methods, and limitations on transporting a firearm. Do some states allow me to carry a firearm? Being that I'm not a resident, I'm not sure if states like AZ's open carry apply to me.

Alsom if anyone has any input, advice, or suggestions on route, sight seeing, or general travel tips, feel more than free to chime in! :D

Route to Georgia.jpg

2. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Gabassman

Gabassman Drive it like a 4WD

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    Check out this site. http://uscarry.com but as long as you have your ccw you should be fine in most states especially the ones you plan on going through.

3. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    You're going to want to find out exactly what the laws are for each state you plan to drive through, every state is different. Some may let you carry, some may require the gun to be unloaded and locked, lots of variations. Firearms laws aren't generally a good thing to take lightly so you need to read up on things. This site is pretty good: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. Aug 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    ^^ That site will show you which states honor your CCW.

If you're traveling through a state that doesn't honor your CCW, you need to check that specific states laws about transporting through; they will most likely require you to have it disassembled, locked up, and in the trunk; super liberal states may not let you through at all
    And you're looking at a FEDERAL offense if you don't abide by any of the above

5. Aug 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    Edit: I see the map you posted now

Looks like (I'm gathering you have a Cali CCW) these states don't honor your CCW:

NM
    LA
    GA

You need to check their specific laws about transporting through their state
    ... NM and LA are both Open Carry states, though; I don't think you should have a problem with them
    GA looks like the main one to be concerned about

6. Aug 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...you have to be very meticulous, due the patchwork of state (and sometimes even local) gun laws, ...some states consider any "loaded" gun inside a vehicle to be concealed, thus requiring a valid CHL, ...some allow limited loaded carry w/out a CHL (i.e. w/ certain conditions), such as in a glove box, ..i think PA and GA come to mind...

i'd definitely check the laws of each state on your route (some of the links others provided are a start), ...some rules of thumb apply regardless; do not ever travel through IL, NY, MA, ...MD, DE, or washington D.C, ...would've included CA in that group, but looks like the OP is already starting from the trap...

...now IL did finally enact a CC law after being beat down by the courts, ...but i don't know if they honor any other states CHLs...

7. Aug 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Did you just ask a someone who lives in CA if they've got a CCW?:D

CA is a May issue state as in CA May issue a CCW to nobody unless you've got serious connections.

Products Discussed in

To Top