1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roadtrip to Vail

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Nobody16, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mar 22, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    Nobody16

Nobody16 [OP] Over the River and Through the Woods

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Acworth, GA
    Vehicle:
    Onto the Tundra
    Past: 2011 Tacoma DC TRD Offroad 4x4 OME 887's, OME EL095R, OME Struts/Shocks, Softopper, BFG KM2's, KMC XD's 2001 Tacoma TC TRD Prerunner 2.0 Fabtech Coilovers, Toytec AAL, Hankook Dynapro MT
    My wife are driving the Tacoma out to Vail the week of June 17th and will be there through the 23rd. We would love to have an offroad day, so I will dig into the FS maps and ride reports to get some direction, but we are always open to suggestions. I am considering a section or two of the Colorado BDR.

Would anybody be willing to show us around on some trails for a day in the area?

Should we expect to see snow closures on some of the higher passes in mid-June?

2. Mar 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    acidchylde

acidchylde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport AC, black, still pretty much stock
    I'm not familiar with the immediate Vail region, but I think you're going to have a bit of driving to get to a trail from there. Shrine Pass, Ptarmigan Pass, and McAllister Gulch are the closest listed on trailsoffroad.com and there's more down toward Leadville or west toward Gypsum. You wouldn't be far from Glenwood Springs and the canyon is pretty interesting, and on the other side of it you could head up toward Marble and Lead King and possibly get to the Crystal Mill. Someone else may chime in with better ideas.

June is sort of the 'opening' season for a lot of high country stuff on average. Some years early June, some years late June. This year our snowpack is higher than it's been in several recent years (you may or may not have seen anything about the record number of avalanches we've had this year), and I believe it's higher than even a few years back when some things were still closed into August. So yes, expect to see snow closures. :D Aside from trailsoffroad mentioned above, you can also keep an eye on http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm to see how things are shaping up as we get closer.

3. Mar 23, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    Greg3492

Greg3492 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leadville, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 White Access Cab TRD Off Road
    I just read this morning that we have 200% more snow pack this year over last year. In June last year there were still a few trails closed up here so I would expect more closed this year with some trails staying closed all summer.
    McAllisters Gulch and Ptarmigan Pass are fun and scenic without being too difficult. I have 2" lift with no armor and only got some new pinstripes on these trails last year.
    South of Leadville there is Lost Canyon and Clohesy Lake. Lost Canyon might be still snowed in around June. Clohesy Lake is one of my favorites.

4. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    slnvail

slnvail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    There are a ton of trails in the Vail area. Like previous posts said, snowpack this year is HIGH so mid June might be iffy. Also, some areas are closed for elk calving until the end of June. Muddy Pass from Piney Lake to Wolcott has endless miles of trails to explore.

5. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    slnvail

slnvail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    The Flat Tops area just northwest of Dotsero may be passable in June.

Products Discussed in

To Top