1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Robberies continue on our road!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Toyotacrawler, May 20, 2011.

1. May 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler [OP] She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Hey guys and gals,
    The last couple of months our dead end road out in the country has been targeted by P.O.S. that continue to break into houses. At first the robberies were occuring during the work day when the majority of the homeowners were at work and stealing the usual electronics. Now they have stepped it up by taking firearms and more valuable items in the middle of the weekend. I.E. The house next door to us got hit between Sat at 9am, Sun 9pm. (They are getting more confident)
    I have taken the usual precautions such as installing a gate at the entrance of our driveway and deploying our German Shepherd Dog inside the house while we are at work. We have thought about an alarm system but due to the fact that it would take the sheriff anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes to get to the house we are looking at different options. Does anybody have any other precautionary measure ideas that I have not thought about to implement that would help protect our house?

2. May 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Get a couple web cams, hook them up to your computer and use them as security cams. There are multiple programs out there that allow you to set them to be motion activated, and even accessed from outside your own network. I used to use a program called Dorgem to monitor my driveway after I caught some punkass kids stealing pretzels out of my parents car a few months back.

3. May 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    FYI that's a burglary not a robbery.

Robbery involves physical threat of harm against an individual during the theft.

That sucks though. It's probably someone who lives around there that knows people's patterns.

The dog inside the house is going to be the best bet. An alarm system doesn't really do much anyways. Avg police response time is 5-7 Minutes and the average Burglary is 1-3 Minutes. The police response time is greater in rural areas.

4. May 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Ok, 1 robbery and 4 burglaries. :) A gray van has been spotted on the road a few times but nobody has yet to get a plate number. I have called the sheriff to ask for more patrols as well as numerous other residents an I personally have yet to see a patrol car come down the street. So yes I completely agree that the alarm system is a waste. They would be long gone by the time the sheriff could respond.
    I'll shop around for some webcams, thats a great idea, if I can figure out how to hook em all up haha.

5. May 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    Big leaf covered spike traps. Foot plate that releases a giant boulder at the end of the road, detroying all getaway vehicles. Rig up your ps3 so that if someone picks it up, a controlled detonation occurs.

6. May 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    A big dog inside is a great one. That will scare most burglars away right off the bat, especially if he's a barker. I also like the webcam option, even if it's just a dummy cam (much cheaper and quicker to get up) ... post notice on all exterior doors & the gate that the home is under video surveillance. Search for "video surveillance stickers" or "video surveillance signs" on Google.

If you have a 2-story home, consider posting a dummy cam that's clearly visible but up high .. for example under the eve of the 2nd story looking down on the driveway. You want it high enough that a thief isn't going to bother to climb up and pull it down or check that it's real. Make it look as real as possible. Run a piece of coax wire from the cam into the house ... just drill a hole, stick in a grommet and then silicone it. The point is to make it look real. Some even have a blinking LED and small solar panel to charge. A lot of thieves will see that sticker in the window, look around, see that camera up there and not go any further. But again ... it should be a pain in the ass (i.e. require a ladder) to get to.

Finally, start a neighborhood watch.

7. May 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    This ^^^

Burglaries are typically crimes of opportunity. Take away the Opportunity and you dramatically reduce your chances of being burglarized. He would rather hit the next guy instead of you.

You can buy a multiple camera system with DVR for <$300

8. May 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    These are great ideas guys! Thanks for the quick responses. I know what I'll be working on this weekend for sure!

9. May 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
    Install Invisible Fence so the dog can get to the very edge of your property. Get 2nd big dog. Camera's that cover all of the property around the house. Keep both dogs under fed and pissed off.

10. May 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    ColoradoTaco

ColoradoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OFFROAD
    If you dont want an alarm system still buy a sign that says "house protected buy ...insert alarm comany here...."

Just a sign alone will scare off 90% of intruders they would rather go to another house than potentailly set an alarm off.

11. May 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    i'm no expert, but sounds like someone who lives in the area... knows when people are there or not...

12. May 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    You could go cheap and get those fake security cameras and put them up in key visible places. Some even have LED lights on them to make them look like they are operating. Cheap solution to deter thieves. But, your best bet is to get the DVR web-enabled system like mentioned above. A couple of web cams tied into your wireless internet and you can watch real-time on your smartphone and even record based on motion. You can even have snapshots emailed to you every x minutes or hours, or have the files sent to an FTP offsite so even if they steal your DVR, you have offsite evidence. $300 for a couple cameras and you should be up and rolling.

13. May 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    CAMERA!!!

14. May 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    764mike

764mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    Take turns with your neighbors and take a day off to catch the asswipes. A little asswhippin usually does the trick. Bring your dog too. Asswipes hate dogs.

15. May 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    That would be awesome to see it from my phone! I need to get a camera for sure! If it is somebody in the area and our house does get hit, I would know exactly who it is. Only one person on our road has met our GSD. That's the only person that would get by him I would think.

16. May 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Buddies got a 140lb Great Dane. No need for an alarm system when you have a dog the size of a horse.

17. May 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    TacoRun

TacoRun Subd for later..

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Edinburg,Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road, Magnetic Gray
    Pop Lock, Ranch Hand brush guard
    I was in Opelika Thursday night going to LaFayette never saw a car on the road all the way up there. I thought to my self man this is quiet little town. Good luck with your problems.

18. May 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    "WARNING: Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" signs. My uncle had a few break-ins all out in no-man's-land loxahatchee. Got 4 of these signs, and not a scratch for 6 years :D

19. May 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Get a gunsafe, bolt it down and use it, also get a couple of IR game tracking surveillance cameras, put one near your driveway so you can get photos of any vehicles.....point the other at your front door......camo them up and download the photos every day.

20. May 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Get one of those signs with the GSD picture on it that says "I can make it to the fence in 3.1 seconds, can you?"

Even if the dog is in the house, if they see the sign, and they are sane, they will move on to another target.

^^Shit, someone else beat me to it!

Such a threat would get rid of me.

Products Discussed in

To Top