1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rock Damage to Radiator

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jtpasto, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Feb 25, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    jtpasto

jtpasto [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerome
    Salmon, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2017 TacomaTRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Are others experiencing rock damage to their radiator fins? It seems like tire tread is the perfect width to pick up and fling road rocks. Is there anything that others have done to prevent radiator damage other then stay away from other vehicles?

2. Feb 25, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    George1441

George1441 Much happier

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Vehicle:
    2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel
    Yep if not for any other reason, I keep my distance mainly for paint chips. Can't believe all the shit that's on the roads these days

pyankura likes this.
  3. Feb 25, 2017 at 6:55 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Satoshi grill with "small" mesh.

sucra and boynoyce like this.
  4. Feb 25, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    pyankura

pyankura Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD SPORT QUICKSAND

I feel ya. Around here it's mostly the gas well trucks flinging stones and shit. My red golf new windshield, my green one needs it and I almost had to buy a new windshield for my truck. I stay waaaaaaay back now!

George1441[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 25, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    TRDinOhio

TRDinOhio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Lima
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Pro 4Runner
    No more Turd-gen :)
    So your tires are flinging rocks forwards and then they hook back and go into your radiator?? I'm not sure I understand but your rocks sound like Kennedys magic bullet.

Anyways your condensor on most vehicles is usually the furthest finned component twards the front of the vehicle. Most manufacturers due this by design as if road debris flies through your grill and damages something you lose A/C first before coolant and potentially eliminate a catastrophic overheat to the engine. Working in the industry I've replaced some condensors for road debris damage but not as many as you'd expect. The actual fins are not what holds the refridgerant ( or coolant if you really mean radiator ). The fins only add surface area to the channels that contain the liquid ( or gas for you auto savvy guys ) and act as a heat sink.

So what can you do to prevent this?? Not much. Get a radiator fin comb if it bothers you but avoid tailgating people especially on the highway. mostly the damage is just cosmetic so don't sweat the small stuff. Almost all cars take debris to the face all day. They are kinda made for it. Look at all the tiny rock chips on your hood and windshield eventually and realize your condensor takes the majority of it. Also know that everyone else on the road is dealing with the same thing and there's not radiators and condensors being replaced by the thousands.

Anyways just drive it and stay away from chasing that car full of chicks down that sketchy gravel road :thumbsup:

6. Feb 25, 2017 at 10:39 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    If you are seriously having that much trouble with rocks getting in there causing damage then you should probably try mounting a piece of screen in behind the grille as it would still allow airflow but stop the majority of debris from coming thru.

Products Discussed in

To Top