1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rock Slider installation??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rangejeep, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    rangejeep

rangejeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Awesome pictures!!!! I'm going for the bolt on method. BTW last picture showed all the tools but I don't have hockey stick in my tool box! Don't care what it's for but I want one and it's an excuse to upgrade the tool box. Heading to Sears after work. Damn Snap-On distributer makes it a bitch to get and replace tools...:mad:

2. Jul 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
  3. Jul 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    rangejeep

rangejeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
  4. Jul 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I hand made my sliders/step bars. I wanted to flexibility to remove them, so we chose bolts. We welded the tube to a small plate with 4 holes in it. We proceeded to drill holes into the frame and run bolts through the plate and frame using lock washers and nuts. My bolted on plates are flush against the frame, so I wouldn't trust it to hold the entire weight of the truck (e.g. slider and high lift jacking). If you plan to bolt on, make sure you have some sort of support on the bottom and/or top of the frame. Furthemore, get the strongest bolts you can. Lastly, I wouldn't be too concerned about drilling holes in the frame...it won't weaken it that much if at all.

5. Jul 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,

That stick comes in handy a lot!!!
    Interesting history on it, it was Damon Langkows when he was with the Coyotes. He gave it to a friend of mine that did work with the team and his son used it playing Jrs. I asked him if I could have it after he broke it and now it is used for prying, reaching and all kinds of things.

I use it as a lever to push on the drill to make it easier when drilling in the tight spots.
    The rope goes around the frame in a loop and becomes a fulcrum for the stick.
    Way easier than straining to push it by had alone.

6. Jul 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    you get a lot more strength out of your sliders from welding them on, not only for the usage of the slider but the frame also increases in strength. Brandon from avid offroad explained this to me: he does his weld brackets in a diamond shape instead of square to allow more load and durability from them

7. Jul 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,

I agree that welding is a stronger way to mount them, as long as you do not want to take them off ever and the welding is done correctlly.
    I would have no problem letting Brandon weld mine on.

Someone I have never seen weld before or there work on another truck, not so much.

8. Jul 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I bolted mine on because some day I'll sell/trade my tacoma towards a new one and I'd rather not let potential buyers know how I used it so I'll be returning it to stock when the time comes.

I'd rather have a few holes in the frame than have to cut/grind off my sliders.

My bolt ons are plenty strong, hi lift the truck off the ground, support one side on a rock etc.

You won't have any problems welded or bolted if done right. You could do either wrong and compromise your frame.

Welded is stronger, but bolt on is plenty strong for a Tacoma application.

9. Aug 28, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    Vjbmx

Vjbmx New Member

Member:
    Hey mate what brand are these?
    Where can I get a set?

10. Aug 29, 2016 at 5:44 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Many years ago Brandon from Avid made them for me.
    At the time he was not making bolt on sliders so he asked me not to say that he made them.
    Perhaps he is making them now.
    They are still on my 2010 4X4, frame has not broke and I have had all the truck weigh on them trying to traverse something I should have not tried.

Products Discussed in

To Top