1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rocky Mounts Clutch Bed Mount

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zbouncer, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    zbouncer

zbouncer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SA,TX
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    2" Revtek lift 285-75-16 BFG MT
    :confused:

Just bought my 05 Taco last week and need a way to transport our Marin mountain bikes without it getting jacked on my way to the trails. I did a search but the treads were old and info I was looking for was not there. So my questions to you guys are:

Do any of you have these and how have they held-up to the test of time?

Are the locking ones worth the $50+ or will the non-locking ones @ $15 work just as well?

When I bought my taco it had the bed rails but not the mounts, will these work without mounts?

http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mounts-...BRX4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1310075441&sr=8-5

2. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have had the locking ones for about 2 yrs now and they have held up great. I like having the locking feature. It keeps the bike in the truck and blocks the star nuts from taking the whole mount/bike. Front tire gets cable locked to d-ring in bed and to rear tire/frame of bike for any out of sight of truck action for a bit of extra security. Those on Amazon would be totally worth it if they come with mounting hardware for that price....even if they don't come with hardware it'd be worth it. You can always add the locking skewers later if you want. IIRC, if you contact RM, they may send you the mount hardware if it doesn't come with. Think I heard of a coupla people on here doing that.

BTW, East of ya on I-10 welcome aboard and we'll be needing pics of said vehicle cuz wii bee pic ho's upinheeya, lol.

3. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya, the locking ones are totally worth the extra money. i have had mine for over a year now and they have held up great to the colorado weather (no rust or corrosion at all). being able to lock the bike so easily to the truck really offers peace of mind.

also, the shop that sells the rocky mounts is in boulder, co so i have had an opportunity to deal with them directly. they are very nice and go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied.

4. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Not sure of the price, but have you seen the Toyota Factory option? The fork mount itself mounts directly to one the factory tie downs on the bed rail. I use them and they work great. But I like the idea of the locking option mentioned above. For security, I just used a longer cable and ran it thru the bikes and rear bed tie downs. :cool:

5. Jul 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    zbouncer

zbouncer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SA,TX
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    2" Revtek lift 285-75-16 BFG MT
    Sounds like its well worth the $15 ($30 if I get 2) and since I wont really use the locking device I'm willing to go that route. I guess if I really need to lock it down I can run a chain around the bike frames and use a pad-lock on the d-rings. I will order them as soon as I get sale my Saris Bones 2 bike rack. Ill be sure to post some pics of the install ;)
    Thanks fellas :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top