1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof basket security

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smuook, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dec 11, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    smuook

smuook [OP] Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Maybe a little bit I guess. I've never thought of my truck as being quite in the first place. There might be a little bit of noise, but nothing obscene or obvious. I'd say this is a non-issue in my opinion. Too little to be noticeable.

BTW... I looked on the Rola website and they do make a 1 piece version of this rack. E-trailer.com has the best deal that I've found on this rack and they didn't give me the option. The 2 piece design allows for adding an extension piece. But since I'm not using an extension, I would have opted for the 1 piece, had I had the choice. It's not that big a deal. Overall I'm happy for the price I paid.

2. Feb 19, 2016 at 10:53 AM
    22nealr

22nealr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Colorado
    Kinda resurrecting an old one but I wanted to ask how you sealed your mounts for the rack? I have the same basket and I've tried a few different sealants but it always ends up leaking within a few months.

3. Feb 19, 2016 at 8:04 PM
    smuook

smuook [OP] Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Rubber gasket under aluminum base, plus silicone in hole. Never had a leak over many years. HOWEVER, it ended up that the rack rusted out. I would not buy another one because it literally disintegrated while sitting there.

4. Feb 21, 2016 at 5:51 AM
    2stroketrush

2stroketrush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler Addison Rush
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    Built 97 ExtraCab
    Overland Purpose Built 97 going on 190K.
    Seeing this thread again reminded me, i dont think i ever thanked you for this idea as i also dont like the bars across the roof. did almost the same as you except i used 1/4 rubber strips as a base. Did have to reseal and paint it though. sorry to hear yours rusted out.

5. Feb 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    Trejo99

Trejo99 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Prerunner
    Cool .. I like this idea .. I just got a shell and I wanted to put a rack on it so I was thinking about pulling a rack off a 3rd gen 4Runner and then putting a basket on that.. but this seems way more easier and simple..

Products Discussed in

To Top