1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof gone rusty

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by italtaco, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jul 4, 2015 at 8:15 AM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    6" lift, 18" rims, black lights
    tacoma_roof.jpg

My 2004 tacoma, has been in immaculate conditions until a few months back when suddenly, it started to show heavy areas of rust on the roof. Very strange thing, almost happened overnight and only on the roof. Rest of the body paint still looks really good.

I am thinking to plasti dip this mess, but of course I will sand down to metal the rusty area.
    Can someone advise the following:
    - what's sandpaper should I use ?
    - should I primer first? As far as I know you don't need to do it with plasti dip, even if I am going to sand down to metal.
    - any color suggestion? There are not many color choices with plasti dip, so I am thinking a red roof, considering the truck is black.

If you have done it before, any suggestion is great. I have watched a few youtube video for generic cars. It seems pretty easy, but for Tacoma owners if you have some specific I tip, I would love to know it.

Thanks!

2. Jul 4, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Sand the crap out of it! My buddy had the same thing happen to the hood on his 09. Skip the plastic-dip and use actual paint. You'll get way better protection from this happening again. An since its the roof, getting a perfect match shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Definitely prime. Use self-etching primer where you go down to bare metal and a good high-build, sandable primer for the rest. I used a combination of 80 grit for the real rough spots and to feather where I sanded to bare metal, 120, 180, 220, and lastly 320 to smooth it all out. This is the result:IMG_3650.jpgIMG_3653.jpgIMG_3665.jpgIMG_3668.jpg

Not bad for a few cans of rustoleum and a half days work...

3. Jul 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    ricantaco

ricantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thanh
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBC TRD OR
    I don't think camper shells are metal. They are made of fiberglass, the process may be different to remove that. Sanding down too much might ruin it

4. Jul 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    6" lift, 18" rims, black lights
    Yeah, I thought about doing what you described, but I am not that experienced with car painting. Also I was looking to get it done in a faster way, so if it happens in other parts of the car I can perform the same procedure.
    I shopped around to a few body shop and the cheapest was 400 bucks to do a proper job (3 days procedure with multiple coats of primer, paint and clear).
    So, after watching several youtube video, I decided to save the 400 bucks and try plasti dip. Worst case scenario if in a year I see an issue, I can easily peel it off and spend the 400 bucks. If it last at least 3/4 years I am happy and for less than 30 bucks I can re-do it every 3/4 years if necessary.

Anybody else has plasti dip their tacoma in similar circumstances ?

5. Jul 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM
    ricantaco

ricantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thanh
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DBC TRD OR
    Sorry I looked and thought that was a camper shell. Lol

Sand away down to metal. My bad

6. Jul 4, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    This condition is caused by condensation... and the sun's UV/drying process.
    It is commonly seen here in the SW.
    Primarily found on vehicles that are always parked outside.

It didn't happen over night...
    it's been happening for years.

Would be less problematic...
    if the roof/hood were dried manually
    instead of letting the sun bake it.
    But that requires more effort.
    And generally people are too lazy to make effort.

I park my rig in a garage...
    15 years later... paint surface is as good as the day I bought it.

7. Jul 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I don't even know what to say in response to people being lazy if they're not drying the roof every morning.

Tonkkids and medic2230 like this.
  8. Jul 4, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    answer:

a good coat of UV protecting wax,
    applied twice a year, offers some protection
    against condensation and UV damage.

9. Jul 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    powerofchez

powerofchez Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco 4x4
    My protocol when stripping a panel was 40-80 grit all the strip down areas, then hit the bare metal again with p180 to get rid of the p80 grit scratches that remain, then feather the paint out with p220-p320, and finally any paint area not taken down past clear coat will be sanded with p600 grit. Hit the whole panel again with a grey scotch brite pad (approx p800 grit) and clean with a wax and grease remover. All areas with bare metal NEED/HAVE to be coated with a metal etch primer (2 part preferably but rattle can will work). You can now choose to either primer the either just the spots you stripped down with 2-3" of overlap between coats, and making sure that your final coat is approx 6" past the bare line of base coat, OR prime the entire panel with light coats on the unnecessary areas, and primary focus on the stripped areas.

Also, the p at the beginning of the grit# means that they use the European grit measurement, and thus are finer than non p grit#. Example 320 grit is practically the same as p220. This matters due to bridging and dye-back/shrinkage, where a scratch is to deep for the paint, but not wide enough for the paint to run into it, and the dries over the scratch (bridging), then after about 1 week the paint will shrink into the crack.

10. Jul 4, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solutionÂ…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    You write like poetry.

11. Jul 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    BadBrains

BadBrains Spreading the Aloha

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma TRD OR, '00 Integra GS-R, '75 C10
    King, TC +2"LT, 35's, Aluminum this and that.
    I'd probably have the roof wrapped in vinyl until the truck received a full paint job.

12. Jul 24, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    Tonkkids

Tonkkids 2001 Taco PreRunner V6

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Thomaston GA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner SR5 V6
    I wanna know where you get a real good paint job for 400 bucks. Took mine for an estimate and it was $3000. Maaco will do the enamel pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for...

13. Jul 24, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings

Products Discussed in

To Top