1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof rack advise!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Kelly6773, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Nov 20, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    Kelly6773

Kelly6773 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SC
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sport DCLB
    I really only need one bar to occasionally carry a 17’ kayak and canoe. I have a bracket that straps to the back of the bed for the other end. And I’ll be getting a mid rise top cap very soon. With kayak bars on top of that. Rhino rack is about 236. Yakima and Thule are about 265. Factory rack is 340. Undecided which mount to get. Time is also an issue. Going to NY to get the canoe in about a week. Can’t find a place that’ll get me anything other then factory rack by this weds. I did try and use canoe foam to transport it here but it made way to much noise an seemed to move around. 14 hr drive didn’t feel like messing with it all the way

2. Nov 20, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I've used Thule racks on all my Toyota trucks 20+ years for transporting canoes and kayaks. My Leer midrise has the Thule track system while the ones on my 2013 cab are the typical Thule removable ones that clamp into the door frame. I wanted to be able to take the racks off easily and keep the rubber roof molding strips. That was my reason for not choosing oem.

3. Nov 21, 2017 at 12:09 AM
    thumpper

thumpper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2008 Taco
    CL and look for a QTR tower or one of their newer towers not sure what they are and the cross bars. Then buy the necessary 'clips' that will be needed for your vehicle. With one bar that would be very easy to remove when not needed too.

I'll admit I'm partial to yakimas products though.

4. Nov 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Factory rack is ultra light, made of composite and aluminum. Cross bars fold out of the air stream when not in use to in inline with the cab and are great for grab handles to climb up the cab. Folding out of the airstream reduces air turbulence, wind noise and increases mpg by reducing drag. When needed they fold out across the cab to carry the load and have a few tie down points. Brilliant design for those that care about the details.

I put a 3rd gen rack on my 2nd gen (they fit and have a higher weight rating) to carry some 16' deck boards:
    IMG_0281.jpg

5. Nov 21, 2017 at 3:26 AM
    Kelly6773

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SC
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sport DCLB
    Thanks. I did order the factory rack. I read the install instructions on here a while ago. Going to try an find them. I believe it’s two bolts at end and side.

6. Nov 21, 2017 at 4:23 AM
    Friedtacolover

Friedtacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Off Road 4x4
    my build tread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/socal-no-shame-poser-build.513084/
    Once you put shell on you can also leave factory rack closed and when you need it mount a thule to it so its the same height as your cap rack. Not sure if that works i always wondered how people wit the rise in caps get a level rack system from front to back.

7. Nov 21, 2017 at 5:31 AM
    Kelly6773

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SC
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sport DCLB
    I’ve seen a few on here they say no problem with the different height.

Products Discussed in

To Top