1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Rack Installations

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by bukzilveraway18, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Jan 30, 2017 at 5:10 AM
    mthopton

mthopton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD DCSB 4x4
    Rap guard is just the white film that many vehicles are shipped with from the factory. Basically a peel off paint protection to keep rail dust, etc, from f'ing up the paint. The instructions are basically saying to take that off first.

I finished up the install of the OEM rack on my truck and overall the install went fine following Toyota's instructions. One of the small, flat head torx screws that attaches the actual plastic rack up in the front to the metal bracket stripped as I was installing. Despite all attempts, I had to drill it out and use a stainless steel M6x15 cheese head allen bolt in its place. I was able to get the main middle and rearward bolts in with no issue - lining them up was not a problem.

My only real dis-satisfaction is that the front of the rack does not sit flush on the roof line. There is about a 1mm gap right in the arch of the trim where it does not sit flush. I did give a slight bend to the forward portion of the metal bracket in hopes that it would hug the roof line better but, in reality, all that did was keep the yellow, plastic push pin from pushing all the way into the metal bracket. It's cold here in Atlanta right now, so I'm going to just let it be for a while and when the weather warms up, I'll work on trying to seat it a little better. I did try knocking it around some with a rubber dead blow hammer but that didn't really do shit. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll post up a pic tomorrow in the sun.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. Jan 30, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    walterj

walterj Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA, USA
    Vehicle:
    Sexy Black '17 Taco 4x4 DCSB TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Does anyone happen to know the part number for the original rubber strips that went in those slots? My rack was dealer installed and those were not in the truck when I got it. I'm thinking of getting rid of the roof rack in favor of a raised bed rack.

3. Jan 30, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    mthopton

mthopton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD DCSB 4x4
    Google is your friend.. :) You'll need a right and a left side. FWIW, I *think* this is correct. I would call and confirm before ordereing.

https://www.partznet.com/oem-parts/toyota-drip-molding-7555104080/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9ZXh0ZXJpb3ItdHJpbS1jYWImaT04NTE5MzU1NSZyPTEmYT10b3lvdGEmbz10YWNvbWEmeT0yMDE2JnQ9dHJkLXNwb3J0JmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM=

4. Jan 30, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    I have a set I took off my truck. Make me an offer?

5. Dec 29, 2017 at 7:01 AM
    Papidiver

Papidiver Member

Member:
    Hi guys, I just purchase an aftermarket roof rack for my 2013 Tacoma. My concern is the brackets doesn't have the LH/RH stamp on it and the washers they came in with. How do I know where to install the brackets with no LH/RH stamp and the washers are not foam or plastic. I like the ones that are on the kit and on the YouTube videos. I went to the hardware store and found some rubber washers. They are 5/16 inner, 3/4 out, 1/16 thick. Do you guys think this washers would work if I apply a small dap of cement or silicone to prevent leak.

Thanks!

6. Aug 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    Ck1010

Ck1010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra TRD Off-Road
    Sorry to revive an old thread..

Anyone have trouble getting the middle (first big blue) screw in? I got all of them in on the drivers side but cannot get the middle one and can’t see to make sure it’s lined up(I assume it is if all other bolts are in?)

7. Aug 9, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North County SD
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB - Cement
    Mine were really tough to screw in. I almost felt like I was stripping something (screws or screw holes) with the amount of torque it required. I’d be interested to hear what others experienced as well. I included silicone glue as a double precaution anyway.

8. Dec 4, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    RavenTacoma

RavenTacoma New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red DBL Cab OR
    Hi, I'm looking to install a rack however, I have some questions. Weight needed to carry is 160 lbs. Now according to the OEM rail capacity that is over the 100lb limit. However what if I used the yakima timberline towers which would attach to the side rails with the yakima crossbar? Can this be done? or do I need to install a rhino rack or similar? I'm trying to use the OEM rails for lighter loads and keep them for daily use but for heavier loads can I use something else with the rails stored? Yakima says you need a minimum of 27" between their rails. I assume this can be achieved? Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top