1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rookie torque mistake... advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brow, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    So yesterday i decide to be all pro-active and change the rear diff fluid in my truck, grease the zerks, normal maintenance stuff. First time doing this (really on any vehicle) but i was tired of paying people to do things I know i could do myself. even went and finally bought a torque wrench to do things right

So i get my rear diff fluid drained and filled, tighten down the bolts with my normal socket set, switch to the torque wrench, set it for 36lbs, and start to tighten the drain bolt, realize ive been tightening way to much for a 36lb bolt and stop. slightly confused i gently try the fill bolt, clicks almost immediately.

so Basically i overwrenched the drain bolt by a good 1/2 turn, i think i allready had it tightened just over 36lbs with my normal socket. Any one out there have any advice? I've come up with three different ideas.

1) Wait til i need to change out the diff fluid again, buy new washer and bolt from dealership.

2) there is to much stress on the bolt and it could crack the threads/bolt while bouncing around under my truck, buy new bolt and washer now and redo the diff fluid.

3) I damaged the threads on the diff housing and that needs to be replaced.

Everything looks fine, no leaks coming from the bolt, really hoping that number 1 is what you guys are going to recommend, cuz of course i spent the extra money and put synthetic in there.

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What kinda torque wrench did you buy? It should have clicked right away if it was already tight. If you stripped the plug with your 3/8" socket, you would have been applying alot of torque to it.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    wrench doesnt even have a name on it. looks just like every other one ive seen. twist to lock at the bottom, rotate the handle to set the torque, had to get one that went up to 150 so i could finally properly torque my aftermarket hitch down.

First time using a torque wrench, I wasnt exactly sure on what sound it was going to do when i got to the correct torque, and I was surprised at how gently it clicked when i got the fill bolt done properly. It's very possible i just missed the click on the drain bolt and kept tightening.

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Is this and INCH-pound or ft-pound torque wrench? many of the 3/8" wrenches are in-lbs...

in any case, I don't think you did any damage, the old torque spec on that was two grunts and a fart with a 1/2" drive breaker bar...

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    brow

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    just overtightened, no visible damage, no leaks, and its a 1/2" drive ft/lbs bar

6. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I would leave in place and do it right the "next time"...

An axle housing is pretty hefty chunk of iron...

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    BattleStatic

BattleStatic Gluten Free

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Goodyear
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O.R. 4x4
    OME 885's w/Nitro Chargers and Dakar rear leafs ATX AX199 Mohave I I (0 offset, 4.5" bs) BFG KM2 285 75 16 Avid Sliders w/ kickoffs Pelfreybilt rack w/ Tepui RTT Katzkin front and rear Sunroof
    You should be fine. Go with option 1. I had the same problem when I did mine, I think I didn't hear the click. If nothing is leaking and looks damaged I think you will be ok..

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    As long as you didn't go nuts with your 3/8" drive, I'd say leave it and do it right the next time. If you think you really overdid it, then back it off and retorque it. I re-used the washer when I did my differential.

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    It being a plug, and torqued to just 35 ft/lbs, i didn't use a torque wrench. I think you're fine. If its bothering you, verify your wrench is set to 35 ft/lbs and hand tighten plug, then torque it.

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    Im pretty anal about torquing and I wouldn't worry about it.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    sparkhill

sparkhill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't worry about it. If the washer is compressed just buy a new one next time around. If you have ever had your truck worked on, there is a pretty good chance plenty of your bolts are over-torqued.

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I would loosen it, and re torque it. The threads can stretch over time from over torqueing(ever broke a wheel stud?)..It takes 10 seconds to do it right. This way you can prevent a headache down the road, also.

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I wouldn't worry with a torque wrench unless you are doing heads, cams, and bearing holders, unless you are a chick.

14. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Just loosen it about a half turn and re-torque. :) And you're right, at the lower measurements, the "click" can be very hard to notice.

15. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    you'd probably have to apply a hell of a lot more torque than you did to strip it... most people probably don't torque that bolt to spec anyway...

.. for peace of mind, just loosen it (don't use torque wrench to loosen bolts), and then torque to the spec :)

16. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I've drained and filled my diffs a number of times. The only time I'm cautious is on the aluminum transmission and t-case.

I just do a butt torque with my 1/2 breaker bar on the diffs (basically until it's snug, and then a little more). I've never once changed the crush washers.

You'd really have to torque on these things to strip them. Aluminum being softer requires a little more care and it feels a bit different so a torque wrench is certainly advisable there.

Reverse the plug a bit and then re-torque.

17. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    :rofl:

18. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's fine. I use an impact gun on my 82 Toyota, have for years haha.

Since you're using a torque wrench for the first time I would advise you zero it out when not in use or it won't stay calibrated. Best read the instructions that came with it to find out what the manufacturer suggests for storage, some are above "0" to keep the parts aligned etc.

19. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Just remember to check if its inch pounds or ft pounds

20. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    02sr5trd

02sr5trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donnie
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD 4x4
    Deckplate Mod, AFE Pro Dry filter, Xcelerator 14'' muffler, AAL, 5100's @2.5, Kenwood DD HU, Alpine speakers.
    Most torque wrench set that low you wont hear the click. pull slow and steady and feel for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top