1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough country 3" Lift on my 2019 Tacoma sport 4x4

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Marcus smith tacoman19, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Marcus smith tacoman19 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Hey guys! I just got a new 2019 tacoma sport 4x4.

I put so much money down that I had to go with a mid level lift. I got the 3" rough country lift with N3 struts and a 2" rear block and shocks. 1st off my upper a-arm bar hits my coil overs if i go over a bump too fast.

Also when I brake I hear shifting of parts coming from the right passenger side front where the suspension is. It doesnt sound natural at all. The truck rides great other than when I brake a little too hard i hear something moving or hitting on the right side and im not sure what it is.

When I call rough country all they say is "hmmm that shouldnt be happening" they are morons!!!

What do you guys think? Did i get a crappy alignment or do i need new a-arm bars?

I love the 3" lift i think it looks great and Rough Country swears that it will fit with no problems yet im still having problems! Please help!!!

2. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you installed the lift, get under there and Re-torque everything to spec. If you didn’t, take it back to the installer and have them look at it. You’re probably going to need UCAs to get good alignment numbers. I’ll spare you my opinions on rough country.

Also post detailed pictures of your suspension if you can.

Oh, welcome to TW!

GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  3. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    kpinthebay

kpinthebay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii ==>>SF Bay Area
    I thinky you may need a whole new lift.

4. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    Ditch the RC lift, do some major research and then go at it again. Welcome to TW. Now post a pic of your truck. Good luck with your new truck Brother.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  5. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    If i ditch the RC lift what would you guys recommend to get me about 3" up front? Honestly at this point im thinking about calling and returning the lift. I didnt spend 40K on a brand new truck to have a crappy lift.

What you guys recommend?

6. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    Mack7n

Mack7n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josey
    Old Town, ME
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6M BBP/2018 T4R TRD Pro Calvary Blue
    Curiosity, but is there a reason you want a 3", VS say a 2"? I went 2", and have 1 size bigger tires and love it. I had a 3" on my 2017, and had issues.

GreyBaldTaco likes this.
  7. Mar 29, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    Thats a loaded question with a lot of dependencies and can easily get lost in the rabbit hole.

I recommend browsing the suspension forum and reading some of the sticky threads. Most reputable brands:

King
    ADS
    Fox
    OME
    Toyotec
    Bilstein
    Icon

8. Mar 29, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    tex.proud

tex.proud Jesus Christ It's Midnight!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Huntsville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 4X4
    3" OME lift with SPC UCA's HD Dakars Shrockworks Sliders KO2's 165/75/16 Decked bed system CaliRaisedLED mount for Everhardt CB Antenna President Bill FCC CB Yaesu FTM-400 HAM radio and Larsen antenna through roof. TVD Vinyl Decals for the tailgate (Black Reflective) and U.S. Flag decals SofTopper (Black) Empyre Offroad Grill Blacked out badges (PlastiDip)
  9. Mar 29, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    Mack7n

Mack7n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josey
    Old Town, ME
    Vehicle:
    I went with the Dobinson kit through @eevaldes and 0 regrets. Loving it.

eevaldes likes this.
  10. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:01 AM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
  11. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:07 AM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Hey fellas here are some photos of the truck! As you can see from the photos there is already some wear on the coil overs and ive only had it installed for 3 days!!! Every time I turn to the right or brake I hear parts clinking or hitting from the right passenger side and I have no clue what it is but I know its not supposed to happen!

Rough country is blaming the installers and the installers are blaming rough country saying 3" is too high for this truck... yet I know people with 6" lifts running just fine on their tacos! Ive already dropped over 1k on this and these people are seriously pissing me off.

I love the height that my truck has with this lift. I was thinking about switching the rough country to the Icon stage 1 0-2.75" lift comes with 2 new coilovers/ struts and 2 rear shocks. I want to know from you guys. 1. will this solve my problems with the grinding and unwanted noises Im hearing in the front and 2. will I still need a 2" block on the rear like I have now even tho it has the rear shocks for the icon kit???

Thanks fellas! really need your help!!

12. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:51 AM
    Mack7n

Mack7n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josey
    Old Town, ME
    Vehicle:
    Looking at the bottom of the coils, did they come pre-loaded, or did the installer put them onto the strut? On all the ones I've installed, the base plate where the coil rests, has a "stop" that the end of the coil rests against, and I'm not seeing that in your photo. It looks like there's a little indent there, but the coil isn't lined up with it.

na8rboy and bv8ma like this.
  13. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:57 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Pretty sure anything over 3" of lift requires spacer blocks.

Looks like your shocks are pre loaded too much, given how far down the UCAs seem to be in pic 2.

14. Mar 30, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    So a 3” lift is significantly different than the 6” lift so I wouldnt directly compare them. People are running 3” no problem at all.

Icon shocks are digressive which some people like and most don’t. Most shocks are a progressive shock. Icon also has a pretty bad rep on this forum due to leaks and very poor customer service and due to that I generally steer people away from them. You would be better going with an OME kit or Bilstein 5100s or something like that.

Rough Country isn’t well respected so very few folks are running them.

Shocks don’t provide lift, coils and springs do. So in order to lift the rear you will need either a new leaf pack, add a leaf, spacer. Etc.

Can you measure from the ground to the fender or the center hub to fender and let us know what the measurement is?

15. Mar 30, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Center hub/ fender to ground on the front sits exactly 40" and the back sits exactly 39.5" . Everyone Im hearing from is saying billstein or fox. Do they make billsteins in 2.5" lift? all the shops are telling me the billstein 5100 max height is 2" . Those are my stock coil overs and the installer put the strut into them himself. I just went back to the shop today and they told me if I do the Icons/billsteins/fox then we wont have the noise problems or the clinking when turning to the right/ breaking.

16. Mar 30, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Thanks for all your help fellas!

17. Mar 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    FloTaco

FloTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR DC 4X4
    *READ THIS*

I’ve ran OME, TOYTEC, RADFLO, FOX, King, and All-Pro.

X2 on the torque recommendations. If your UCA or tie rod ball joints are not torqued correctly then they won’t SEAT correctly = movement and noise. With that said, compressed springs sometimes groan when breaking in and should subside after time.

Bilstien 5100 should give 2.5” of lift on the highest setting with your stock springs. Another option is running a longer 16” 600lb eibach coil on the 5100s at the lowest setting. This should give lift with little preload. That said, bilstien 5100s are heavy duty, generically valved shocks which are not the smoothest. They are high quality and will last forever. RC is simply not good, you have the best truck ever built with a now low end suspension. If you have the money, Fox or King extended travel (no need for external res if you’re not serious about off pavement use) with Uniball UCAs. Rear blocks are not the greatest over time, they can result in axle wrap. A light rate add a leaf is all you need, nothing heavy duty.

Old Man Emu is heavy duty, not super smooth until you add a lot of weight: trail armor, winch, gear, etc.

TOYTEC...no thank you.

In summary, if you are on a budget, I would get the 5100s on all four corners for $400 and a set of eibach coils in 3” diameter, 16” long and 600lb spring rate. Do not move the c-clip up on the shocks until you try it.

6” lifts are bracket lifts, totally different animal than 3”. You also don’t need 3” to clear 33” tires, you only need 2.5” of lift. Thinking in terms of function over aesthetics will save you much money and headaches. Also ditch the shop and learn to work on it your self. Have them mount the springs on the shocks and dive into the rest on your own.

Your front end is set way too high. Those poor UCA ball joints will not last long at that angle. Be honest, how’s the ride feel??

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Will_2018 and mgmdclb like this.
  18. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    Marcus smith tacoman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Thanks man you gave me a lot to think about. Honestly the truck rides great. Its not as smooth at the stock 2019 sport shocks at all but thats also because I have off road suspension. Honestly, I dont have the time or resources to learn to do this on my own. This is a big job and I really want it done right. I can't tell if this shop is trash or not. They had around 30 5 star reviews on yelp. But at this point im already out hundreds of dollars Im just thinking about going to the damn toyota shop and having them do it for me.

Im looking at aroud the $2,000 range. Do you think I could get kings, or fox's for that price?

19. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    supmet

supmet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White TRD OR 4x4
    No.

Maybe heavily used?

El Duderino likes this.
  20. Mar 30, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    40k on a truck, don’t cheap out on the suspension. Save up a little bit more and buy once cry once. What’s your goal and plans for the truck, how do you want to utilize it? I would look and kings or ADS first those are the top of the line suspensions.

officialtlong likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top