1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough idle and poor acceleration

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by justeven03, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Feb 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    justeven03

justeven03 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    '99 PreRunner
    I have a '99 PreRunner 3.4L V6 that idles really rough from a cold start. Acceleration is poor until the engine get hot. If I get on the accelarator hard from a cold start the engine feel restricted, amost like a clogged cat converter. As I ease off the accelerator it starts to accelerate, but as soon as it get back on the accelerator hard it starts to die again. It has 190,000 miles and I have being driving it only for the last 12,000 miles. Not sure about the maintenance history. Any suggestions?

2. Feb 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    thombiz

thombiz Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner & '02 Tundra
    To me, it sounds like either spark plugs need replaced or the fuel filter needs replaced or both. If it really does smooth out when up to normal engine heat, then I'm not so confident in my choices.

3. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Well if you've got that many miles and your unsure of the maintenance records I would start going through and do all the basic stuff you can think of like your plugs filters oil etc and maybe seafoaming too. You can always get your cats checked out by a muffler shop but if they were clogged that bad I would expect you'd have cel code for it.
    Anyways if you have no records of maintenance you never know how the previous owner/owners took care of the truck just my .02

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    67tone67

67tone67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Fulton Ms
    Vehicle:
    04 Dbl cab TRD
    If you have 12k miles on it ... Its time for servicing.. Id start with plugs and wires.... Then change the fuel and air filter. These alone should make a tremendous diference.

5. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    I could give you an example of a not so good case. I had this happen to my 95 Taco. The head gasket was weeping coolant into the back right cylinder whenever the vehicle would sit idle. When I would first start the truck it would idle rough and accelerate poorly. As the engine warmed up the water/coolant would finally burn out of the chamber and run fine after that. I put up with that for a couple of months before I found out what was happening.
    Luckily after some research I found out that there was a recall on the head gaskets for my year and vin#. I took it in and had the head gaskets replaced but even after that it never felt 100% powered when driving. Needless to say it wasn't long before I traded it in ;)

I do suggest if your going to change the plugs you might as well check the compression also. Can't hurt.....hopefully...

6. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    alfaflight

alfaflight New Member

Member:
    having the exact same problem on my 95 tacoma. 2010tacoma, what recall was this? where can i look that up?

Products Discussed in

To Top