1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough idle no power untill high rpm

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Mfjones, Jul 9, 2016.

?

What to check next?

1. Maf sensor?

100.0%
  2. Idle position sensor?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jul 9, 2016 at 11:51 PM
    Mfjones

Mfjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra
    Iv got a 97 tacoma 2.7l with supercharger and headers. When purchased it ran terrible due to horrible exhaust leak on header at the base of the O2 sensor. Secondly the spark plugs were covered in oil and tube seals upside down. Welded exhaust up, new spark plugs, new tube seals amd the engine ran like a top for about 5 minutes then started idling bad and no power again. Better than before with the leak but still bad. Only has one code noe and thats the P0101 whish would be great but its already been replaced and is brand new. Not too sure what to rry next now ideas would be great. Here is the information when idling (barely idling).
    Compression is good and so far the new plugs dont seem to be dripping with oil now but it hasnt run long since. It is still shooting black sut out the tailpipe wt the moment

20160709_210843.jpg

2. Aug 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    TRDCal

TRDCal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport MT
    Not sure if you figured your problem out or not but idle RPM below 500 seems low and might be causing rough idle. Black soot is an air fuel problem, did you replace the MAF sensor?

Has the truck every run properly with the supercharger. Maybe someone botched the install?

3. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:58 AM
    Mfjones

Mfjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra
    Thanks for replying I totally forgot to post what I found wrong with it! So it had a piggy back ecu that could adjust the fuel input and the controller was missing. So when I unplugged it the first time nothing changed because it had been dumping so much fuel it took out the fuel pressure regulator! So I plugged the piggy back computer bsck in and replaced the fuel pressure regulator.ran much better but still had a hiccup on acceleration. Tried unplugging the piggy back again and ran like a top!!!! So all in all it was just the useless piggy back system someone threw in there! Runs perfect and she scoots along real good now! Thanks for all the help!

2.7taco likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    TRDCal

TRDCal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport MT
    Good to hear that its running properly now. Just curious, without the piggy back unit, what engine management are you using to compensate for the supercharger?

5. Aug 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM
    Mfjones

Mfjones [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra
    I was talking to the master techs at my shop and they told me the stuck ecu reads and compensates pleanty so I really don't need that old one. Plus it was a cheap piggyback that i could adjust with a knob so if I even start noticing cutout or missing I will get the 5th injector set-up and go from there but I havent noticed any problems yet even going up over the mountains. Any thoughts on that though?

6. Aug 7, 2016 at 7:27 AM
    TRDCal

TRDCal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport MT
    Ya makes sense. I don't know much about the specifics of going supercharged but now that you mention it I have read that the stock ECU with a flash can handle the supercharger, at least on other models. Personally I would get it dynoed and make sure everything is running properly as opposed to waiting for the engine to show signs that it is unhappy. Do you have a wideband O2 sensor to monitor air/fuel?

Products Discussed in

To Top