1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough idle, then choke and stall

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Terry456, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dec 27, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Terry456 [OP] New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    1999 Tacoma star cab 4wd
    Hi there, thanks for reading this. Any help is appreciated. I have had this problem for quite some time. I have a 1999 tacoma 2.7L xtra cab 4wd.
    -to get the truck started I have to floor the gas pedal and engage the starter for 10-20sec until it catches, then black or grey smoke comes out of the exhaust.
    -I have to maintain a minimal flow of gas to the engine by slightly depressing the gas pedal, even during braking.
    -If I don't maintain this flow the truck will experience a really rough idle (the muffler sounds like it will fall off) and eventually the car will choke out and stall. If I'm moving I can roll start it (I have a stick) if I'm stationary I have to use the above method but it takes a long time and sounds horrible.
    -when I depress the clutch, it sounds better.
    -at higher RPM the sound goes away but power is severely compromised (esp. on hills and highways)
    -I changed the spark plugs a few months ago, that helped a little then back to problematic
    -I changed the fuel filter, which also helped a little then back to problematic.
    -I have put BG44k in the tank (15 gallons) that helped then back to problematic
    -When I put seafoam (1 can per 4 gallons of 91) that helps but then goes back to problematic.
    - I cleaned the MAF with brake cleaner, don't think it helped much. I do have a K & N Filter.

Thank you so much for any help. I am at my wits end, and almost ready to give it to a mechanic! If this question is answered in another forum a loink would be appreciated, I have searched around but didn't find an answer.

Thanks again,

To Top