1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Routine Maintenance - Timing Belt

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mmp0227, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    mmp0227

mmp0227 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner XCab
    Wish I had known of the forum sooner. I have a 99 PreRunner TRD. 158,000 miles currently. I've been calling around this week to have the timing belt replaced. Three different dealers quoted me 3 different prices, some wanted to change more parts than others. I called 2 different independent shops, one was equivalent to a dealer price, the 2nd independent shop was the most expensive, approx $900.00, but he wanted to replace the following parts b/c of the age and mileage of vehicle. Would love to get some feedback on what really makes sense replace for the mileage and age.

Timing Belt
    Other misc belts
    Upper idler bearing
    Lower idler bearing
    Water pump
    (2) oil seals
    Tensioner arm

Before anyone asks, yes, all belts are original and yes this work will be preformed ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    If the belts are indeed original, I would replace them all along with the water pump, since they have to take it out anyway to get to the timing belt. Not sure about the bearings and seals though., maybe someone will chime in on those for you.

3. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    belts and water pump definitely. do you have an oil leak?? you may not really need new seals....unless they are gonna be in that area when they do the water pump/timing belt, then id say it may be a good idea to change seals too. as far as the idler bearings and tensioner arm....if the bearings are making screeching/whining noises, it may be time for replacement, if not leave them alone for now. and if the tensioner arm has alot of slop/movement, have it changed, if not.....dont worry about it right now. hope this helps.

Wave808 likes this.
  4. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    mmp0227

mmp0227 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner XCab
    The belts and water pump alone where $700.00. The two bearings, seals and tensioner were the extra $E200.00 but that includes both parts and labor. So if I'm going spend $700.00 for the basic items plus the water pump, does it make sense to spend an extra $200.00 since they are there already since its really just the cost for parts.

5. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

is the $700 parts and labor, or just parts??(sounds a little high to me....but its pretty normal i guess) if its parts and labor, then i say go ahead and spend the extra $200 since they will be into your motor anyway. basically, i'd look at that as prevenative maintenance, especially if you can afford it.

6. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    They all seem reasonable to me. Think of it this way, say you get the belt replaced, but say screw the bearings. 3 weeks down the road, one of the bearings seize, your new belt starts screaming around a pulley that's not turning anymore, then poof, your belt breaks, your engine is fuct. That's a big if to have following you around. Just my opinion.

7. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    At 74k I had just the Timing Belt replaced at the dealer and I think it was around $260.

8. Feb 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    mmp0227

mmp0227 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner XCab
    Toy4Life, that's what I have been thinking too. To Tacotoes's point, the dealer is asking for $250 for the belt only. Everything that I've had quoted is for parts and labor. I'm actually passing this truck down to my 17 year old daughter, it has served me well the past 9 years. I just hate to spend $900.00 on it but to this point I haven't had to invest in repairs, only a starter a few years back. I need to think of it as a $900.00 investment, maybe my daughter will get another 158,000 miles out of it. : )

Thanks for the input.

9. Feb 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    lazylost2000

lazylost2000 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 X-Cab
    K&N Air Intake, Magnaflow Cat back exhaust, Denso Iridium Plugs, all component speakers are MA Audio, additional 1.5 Tweeters, Shallow Pioneer Premier 10' subs, 1200w Pioneer Premier Amp, clear corner lenses, Altezza taillights, Billet Grill, Billet stubby antenna, 8500 HID headlights, 265/70 BFG AT
    I just hit 75k on my 03 3.4L PreRunner. So I decided to go ahead do a preventive maintenance/ tune-up. I had all of the follwing done....

Replace Wires and Plugs (Bought parts)
    Replace All Belts (Bought parts)

Replace Timing belt (Bought Parts)

Replace Water Pump (Bought Parts)

Replace bad O2 sensor (Bought Parts)

Replace Fuel Filter (Bought Parts)

Replace PCV Valve (Bought Parts)

Clean Mass Air Flow sensor

Clean throttle body

Fuel Injector Flush

Lube all points including driveshaft

AutomaticTransmission Drain and fill
    Install K&N Air Intake

The parts I bought on my own ran me $550, not including the air intake.

I called Toyota, and they quoted me $1,200 bucks just in labor and the service charge for the drain and fill, and Injector flush. However, I found that to be ridiculous since about 60 percent of the services were able to be done during the water pump and timing belt replacements, so I called around to some local shops. I ended up paying only $560 in labor at a local shop. So in the end I paid less for parts and labor, than what Toyota wanted just for labor.:D

10. Mar 1, 2008 at 8:00 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm surprised you got a 158,000 miles on the original parts, knowing that 90,000 miles is the neighborhood when the timing belts start going south. I think $900.00 is a pretty good price to get the truck squared away for your daughter, don't want to leave her stranded in the world we live in. I know it's a lot of money, but I think it's god money spent.

11. Mar 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Ya im really impressed that thing made it this far lol
    I did my timing belt and water pump about 6 months ago right at 90k miles Idk really know about the price because I did it my self but I will say that the timing belt is a very important part and you don't want it to break.

When I did mine I didn't replace the bearings or seals but I did do the water pump and the more I think about it I think that you mite as well because you will have pretty much the whole front end of of your taco pulled apart so yes I would suggest doing the belt, pump, and bearings idk bout the seals.

Because like someone said earlier in this forum you don't want to pay all that money then have a bearing seize up and u blow up the engine

12. Mar 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Woops forgot bout the other belts

Yes I would also replace the alternator, power steering and ac belts while you are having your timing belt done
    Because you have to take those belts off to put on the timing belt so go ahead and spent the extra $60 or so dollars.

13. Mar 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    mmp0227

mmp0227 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner XCab
    I'll give an update once I have the work done on the wear and tear of the timing belt given the milesage.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

14. Mar 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I asked my local Toyota dealer about doing this all on my wifes 02 4runner and they quoted me $400for the timing belt, accessory belts are just the cost of parts I think another $100 maybe for oem. He told me worst case it would be $750 max for timing belt, all three drive belts and the water pump.

I dont think thats too bad. Not great but its the dealer not a local shop.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the power steering belt? That one is squeeking like a SOB on my wifes 4runner so I need to get it changed ASAP but I am not ready to pay the dealer for all that work since she is only at 94,000 right now. I want to wait till next summer.

15. Mar 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  16. Mar 19, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Have you tried spraying it with belt dressing? I've used it before and it really quiets things down. It's been years so I don't remember a brand to recommend. :eek:

17. Mar 19, 2008 at 3:53 AM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    yeah I have used STP belt dressing on it and no good. Its getting worse now so I need to at least replace that power steering belt.

18. Mar 19, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You need to tighten the belt.

Find a spot on the belt about 12" clear of any pulleys. Grab the edges of the belt with your fingers and twist it.... you shouldn't be able to twist it any more than perpendicular to it's original position.

I'm not sure how the 4Runners are - but most likely the accessory (power steering pump) will be the tensioner to tighten it.

19. Mar 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    backwoodking

backwoodking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks/Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    3.4 V6 Deck Plate and Cut Turn-Down
    Deck Plate, Hitch, Cut Turn-Down Exhaust, Tint, Clear Corners, Shell, Full Size bed in the pickup, Hopefully More Soon
    It's not bad at all. I did all 3 of my belts in under an hour. I am not sure if the power steering is on the outside or not, but you might have to end up taking them all off to get to it. It is an easy project just make sure you get OEM belts from toyota. they are expensive, but worth the money. I haven't heard a whisper out of mine yet.

20. Mar 31, 2008 at 8:45 PM
    mmp0227

mmp0227 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner XCab
    Okay, I have my update on replacing my timing belt. The truck officially had 159,210 miles on it. I will try to upload a pic of the belt with this posting. I replaced the following items: (yes, it took my most of my Saturday)

upper idler pulley
    lower idler pulley
    timing belt
    water pump
    crankshaft seal
    thermostat
    timing belt tensioner
    (3) outside belts,

- all Genuine Toyota parts from the dealer, $575.00.

There was no apparent cracking or tearing of the timing belt itself. The outside (3) belts were all cracked and worn. I have more pics if anyone cares to view them.

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

tn_Time_Belt.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top