1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RPM surge when shifting?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SavannaDan, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    SavannaDan

SavannaDan [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD off-road
    I just bought a 2008 Tacoma TRD v6 4.0 with MT.My question,is it normal for my rpm's to go up when I push in the clutch when shifting?My foot is completely off the gas.I put the truck in neutral going down a hill and my tach stayed at like 1200 rpm's.When I come to a complete stop with clutch in and foot off of the gas,tach will rev to like 1200 rpm's before it idles down to like 750 rpm's.I previously owned a 2000 Tacoma I4 MT,and never noticed this.
    Thanks...

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    my Taco does the same thing, there are other posts about this and it seems normal, something with the emissions or fuel system. when i put on my CAI, it was real bad until the computer corrected itself, like u, my old MT didn't do it, a 96 Taco. DAM COMPUTER TRUCKS

3. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's the main reason I didn't buy a manual tranny.... It did that while I test drove one and it drove me nuts!! So I got the Auto.

4. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    My 2010 does the same thing. It's a double cab 6-speed. I was hoping it was just the new engine break in was why it was doing it. I've never had another manual transmission car or truck do that before, and that's all I've ever owned.
    I wish it would drop to idle when I push in the clutch. Seems like such a waste of gas. Especially in the stop-n-go traffic of Nothern VA. It was a real pain finding a manual transmission here, let alone an Off-Road package, so I jumped on this one the day it got to the lot after months of searching.

5. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The less load there is the less it jumps up. I find it's the worst when I'm trying to shift quickly while accelerating.

Other then the slight gas usage (maybe) I could care less. It hasn't made any difference to my driving.

6. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:47 AM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    yep, i think its just nature of the beast. my 05 does it, although i have got to know my truck very well and have learned to minimize it. it did drive me nuts for the first few months though.

7. Nov 4, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    This sucks! I am glad I got the auto. I was also looking for a MT when I bought my 06. The idea of a manual tranny is to have better control of your vehicle. Right:confused:????

I remember the time when all Toyota, Nissan and other Japanese import cars/trucks had manual and the AUTO Tran was terrible, if even offered. Japanese did not know how to manufacture decent automatic trans in the 80's.

Now we have come full circle, where the opposite is true. Toyota now produces better auto trannys than the standard manual. Too bad, but market forces are at work. It is all about adaptation and survival in a tough market. There will always be something noble about the manual transmission:D.

Products Discussed in

To Top