1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RTT crossing from shell rack to cab rack?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by duvinclunk, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Aug 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM
    duvinclunk

duvinclunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    My family is growing and we need to upgrade the size of our RTT to something bigger. We’ve decided to just go HUGE! We’re thinking CVT Mt. Denali or 23 Zero Walkabout 87. We have a Tepui now that just fits over the shell rack and has never been an issue. Well with the larger tent we’re going to have to cross over to the cab rack as well due to length. Now my thought is to not mount the tent to the cab rack, only the shell rack, and let it float above the cab rack slightly. I’m worried when driving that the cab and bed articulate differently and don’t want to mess anything up by bolting to both racks. Then when we get to camp we can put some type of support or spacer under the tent rail and the cab rack for support. Has anyone been in this same boat? What have people done to ensure there isn’t issue when running bigger tents?

2. Aug 9, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    Ralf

Ralf Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralf
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    ARB Summit Bar Safari Snorkel
    Well, honestly, how much flex and articulation does you experience when going camping? Do you put yourself into high flex situations? If that’s the case, I would put the majority of your securement to the bed cap. Maybe even put a 1” spacer using some 1x2 aluminum square tubing.

Or is mainly simple trails and dirt roads? If that’s the case, I can’t see any harm in bolting it to both the cab and cap racks.

Also, 5ft bed or 6ft truck?

Hoping I can help you out!

3. Aug 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    duvinclunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    This is for a 5ft bed. I won’t be doing any major flex situations with the tent on top but I’d say we do some mild rock crossings when getting out there. I’m feeling like bolt to both would be risky but I don’t have any experience with it so couldn’t say.

4. Aug 9, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    Ralf

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralf
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    Presuming your bed cap rack length is 60", I would do the following;

Put a spacer rail that spans across the length of the rack rail. At least an inch tall. Since the tent is 87" long, you can comfortably have at least 9" of over hang from your furthest mounting point. Still leaves 18" over hang on the cab rack, where you can do the following for both ways; if you don't want any over the rear of the truck, you'll have 27" of tent coming over the cab of the truck. Take 1" square by maybe 3-4" long wood blocks that you can squeeze under the tents mounting rails, between the rail and the cab rack rail.. That way you don't have to worry about the tent bending with everyone up there. You can easily remove these when you pack up, and then it leaves you that gap for any flex you occur while driving.

If this all makes sense...

That would be my solution.

duvinclunk[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 9, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    duvinclunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    I’m ok with the tent overhanging the back of the shell by a little but would prefer to make the bulk of it overhang the cab. I like the idea of there being a block of some sort that is put under for when camping and then removed for travel or exploring. I think I’ll do that, get another extrusion rail to mount to the tent and shell so it will sit above the cab some. Once I get the tent I’ll have a better idea of how to best make that work.

I haven’t seen one of these huge tents on a Tacoma before. I’ve only seen them on full-sized and SUVs/vans so this should be interesting. Ha. VERY excited for the room. The current set up leaves it way too tight to squeeze everyone and neither my wife or I sleep very well because of it.

6. Aug 9, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    Ralf

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralf
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    I agree. Again, that way it’s not fixed to the cab rack, and still allows for movement while driving, and I can’t see it flexing too much that it would actually touch the roof rack. And then yea, just do the removable block, and you should be good!

Yea, normally the largest you see on our trucks and similar classed trucks, is the Mt. Rainier, or 72” length tents. The Denali will be a big step up, but it’s got the room and features you’re after!

If your budget allows it.. I would go Hybrid series, Mt. Denali, extended series.. I’ll be going from a Pioneer Mt. Shasta Extended, to a the new Hybrid Mt. Rainier Extended in the spring. After seeing cheaper tents on the market, the CVT line up has impressed me, and also features the most options.

duvinclunk[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    Rockefelluh

Rockefelluh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRDOR 4x4
    Get a long bed :D

8. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    lazyorefficient

lazyorefficient Member

Member:

Thread revive. Love to see pictures of the 87 on your truck if you ended up going that way. Looking to do the same thing to sleep a large family.

Products Discussed in

To Top