1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RTT vs Camper

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by boudain, May 3, 2019.

1. May 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    boudain

boudain [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    TRD Sport Scooped hood...for science!
    Alright guys, in January I'll be going on my first mule deer hunt in Arizona. I don't really have any details other than I've agreed to go. At this point I'm considering the upgrades to my truck to be ready. I'm debating a Roof Top Tent vs a camper shell. I like the idea of a camper shell because I can sleep in it (maybe) or just use it as more lockable storage and sleep in a ground tent. But given it's January in the desert, I feel like a RTT would give better insulation than a ground tent, and sleeping off ground seems more comfortable given i'm in unfamiliar territory.

Any of you guys hunt out of your truck?

2. May 3, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I've done multiple long road trips, hunting and pleasure trips. I've driven to Colorado twice to hunt and multiple summer camping trips. Hunted once in New Mexico and once in Mississippi and all over GA. Having a cap on the truck is really the only way to go keep gear secure and dry. I'm not a fan of RTT or slide in campers. When you wake up in the morning to drive to where you're hunting you have to break everything down and set it back up when you get back.

If a travel trailer isn't practical then tent camp. If you buy good gear it is quite comfortable even in extreme weather. Maybe not extreme HOT weather. I like my AC, but have tent camped in single digit weather and had no problem staying warm. Get a tent big enough to stand up in and remember that a 6 man tent is cutting things close for 2 people. One is better and an 8 man tent is about right for 2.

You'll be a LOT warmer in a ground tent in cold temps. Sitting up on the roof of your truck will allow cold air underneath you. Should be better in hot weather and make it easier to catch a breeze.

Products Discussed in

To Top