1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rubber plugs for gaps in bed rail available now

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by HCTacoGuy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mar 14, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    16TacomaSport

16TacomaSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camaro SS 1LE 6spd
    nope it filled it completely. i had to remove the bed cap to actually get it to slide in with the tape exposed. when i put the cap back on it squeezes it so its a perfect fit

2. Jan 6, 2022 at 2:55 PM
    snak

snak Member

Member:
    @16TacomaSport thanks for the suggestion, picked those up and will be trying it out.

3. Jun 19, 2022 at 5:03 PM
    tacomavanlife

tacomavanlife Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjo
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC
    Shell, pull-out drawer, foam mattress, shelves, bicycle storage.
    Hey @snak and @16TacomaSport, care to share an update on how these Magzo Adhesive Pads are working in June 2022? I may grab some as well.

4. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:25 PM
    flakbait

flakbait Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB 6MT
    35% Tint, OEM Floor Mats, Bed Lights, Door Sill Protectors, Bed Mat, A/c Drain Mod, Gas Cap Holder, LED Reverse Tail Lights, Pace Edwards Ultragroove Tonneau Cover, Yakima Crossbars, Black "Tacoma" Inserts, Black Emblems, Center Console and Glove Box Organizers, Paint Matched Bumper Caps, Chalk Bag Bottle Holder, OEM Bed Step, OEM Black Housing sr5 Taillights, Diode Dynamics Hitch Pod, Interior LEDs, Footwell Lighting, OEM Remote Tailgate Lock and Plenty More to Come!
    Hi all,

Thought I would add to this since I cannot for the life of me get my Pace Edwards Ultragroove Tonneau Cover to stop leaking at the front of the bed, it is leaking and pooling on top of the fender wells (right in the inserts for 2x4s). Below I have attached a terrible photo with letter explaining what I have tried and so far to no avail...

Tonneau Edge.jpg

A) The header rail leaks underneath - Since this photo I have taken this off the bed and run a line of butyl tape between the bed and header rail, may have helped some.

B) I currently have a piece of thick weather stripping foam that runs across the top of the bed (I have to be able to remove the tonneau canister cover to clear debris from the drains) but I think I will add butyl tape along with the foam.

C) I had weather stripping foam applied here as well, since this photo I filled the gap with butyl tape. Not sure if it has helped.

D) Originally I filled this with outdoor caulk, this did not help. Ended up constantly cleaning water stains from the caulk that never set (was applied a month ago). Removed the caulk completely and replaced with butyl tape folded over and crammed into the crack. I will need to add more butyl tape or resort to the use of black spray foam.

E) Stock bed rail, nothing originally - Since this photo I have also sealed this portion of the bed rail caps with butyl tape.

F) The caulk (pictured) did not work. - I ran the butyl tape I applied at location A (after removing the caulk) all the way across the bed under the header rail and crammed it into the gap F.

I am running out of patience and I want this thing to seal better than it has. I don't know if this bed design by Toyota is to blame or the cover, either way it is super frustrating...

Any input would very thankful and I hope you all find the source and solutions to your leaks!

5. Jan 31, 2023 at 3:36 AM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    I didn’t have all these headaches and wonder if some of them weren’t introduced by your other solutions. With that said… My first problem was that the header bar was higher than the side rails. I loosened all the attachment bolts and made sure it was at its lowest point, which got it sitting nearly flush. My tonneau came with two different thickness foam pads and I used the thicker spongier one. It pretty much did the job. I got the factory plugs for the gap (header to bed rail) and I haven’t had issues with that area. I still have occasional issues at the tailgate corners, but that has more to do with me parking nose down on a slope and our torrential rain regularity.

6. Jan 31, 2023 at 5:26 AM
    flakbait

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB 6MT
    35% Tint, OEM Floor Mats, Bed Lights, Door Sill Protectors, Bed Mat, A/c Drain Mod, Gas Cap Holder, LED Reverse Tail Lights, Pace Edwards Ultragroove Tonneau Cover, Yakima Crossbars, Black "Tacoma" Inserts, Black Emblems, Center Console and Glove Box Organizers, Paint Matched Bumper Caps, Chalk Bag Bottle Holder, OEM Bed Step, OEM Black Housing sr5 Taillights, Diode Dynamics Hitch Pod, Interior LEDs, Footwell Lighting, OEM Remote Tailgate Lock and Plenty More to Come!
    Interesting, first time dealing with leaks so I wouldn't be surprised if I made things worse :notsure:.

When taking the header bar off I didn't even think to see if you could raise/lower it. The OEM foam that was under the header bar was completely toast, it was basically just the adhesive. Did you reapply any foam under the header rail? I could see drips at the edge of each end of the header bar, right near the bolts (this was before I added the butyl tape, seems to have stopped now.) I may take another crack at it when the weather improves and try to make the header bar as level as I can.

Would you recommend the OEM foam pads or create your own like some others have? Seems expensive for foam pads... I appreciate the input, thanks!

7. Jan 31, 2023 at 2:53 PM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    Honestly, I didn’t look. I just loosened, because I was adding the front track. I noticed the bar was higher than the bedrails and noted the holes were slots in the bar. I adjusted to as close to level as I could get (bottomed out on bed panel I guess). I got the fillers, didn’t want to mess with silicone and the whole DIY. Butyl (window adhesive) is great stuff, but is a bit bulky. I also sometimes use electrician’s or AC workman’s DUCT SEAL. (AKA gorilla snot) for gap filler.

8. Jan 31, 2023 at 3:40 PM
    Williston

Williston Well-Known Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    Been reading this thread and thinking 3M Strip Caulk (part #: 08578) would work perfectly for this problem. Shape a ribbon or bead to fill the gap, press it in and smooth it out with a small flat piece of wood like a Popsicle stick or flat piece of plastic. Rub away any excess away with a wet finger. It never dries out and you can even paint it and it doesn't leave or make a mess. I have put a bead of this stuff around leaky firewall gaskets to stop water leaks and drips.

9. Feb 1, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    flakbait

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB 6MT
    I may see about purchasing a different seal that another user has recommended that worked on their second gen. I see this as a replacement for the foam weather stripping that was supplied on the Tonneau along the header bar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCC0SY6

This looks like it may work with your suggestion of leveling the header bar as well as the OEM header foam caps (I may make my own with some 1/2" foam).

This looks like a better version of the butyl tape I used, as "NoOne" suggested above, I think the butyl tape may be too bulky but it's also been cold here and may be preventing it from being malleable to get into tight places. The 3M caulk tape looks to be better suited for the cracks at the header bar on the bed. Let us know if you end up trying this solution, may be what I try next!

10. Feb 1, 2023 at 10:20 AM
    islesrule123

islesrule123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 inferno Tacoma TRD off road
    Trd pro suspension trd pro grill
    Just ordered them, lets see

mrh2727 likes this.
  11. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:16 AM
    mrh2727

mrh2727 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD off road Barcelona Red
    Please update on how well these work. Seems like from this thread there has not been much luck.

12. Feb 1, 2023 at 5:49 PM
    Williston

Williston Well-Known Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    thi

I don't have a bed cover, but I used the 3M caulk (also known as "dum-dum") to seal a small gap between the shark-fin antenna and the roof. It comes in round strips about a foot long an the diameter of a pencil. You can stretch it out and roll it as thin as you want, flatten out a gob of it, etc. It's like working with bubble gum. The antenna wasn't sitting tight/flush onthe roof sheet metal. It wasn't leaking, but I didn't trust it. I rolled out a thin bead and pressed it gently in place around the antenna and smoothed it out. It's nearly invisible. This stuff sticks to the surfaces, expands and contracts with the weather and stays in place. It doesn't shrink or dry out over time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    flakbait[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:17 AM
    islesrule123

islesrule123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 inferno Tacoma TRD off road
    Trd pro suspension trd pro grill
    As soon as I get them I will update

mrh2727[QUOTED] likes this.