1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Runnin 4 Tacos TRD Pro Replica Grille (2012-2015)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Wackyhacky, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    Wackyhacky

Wackyhacky [OP] A Well Known Troublemaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Berthoud, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB
    While I wasn't on the hunt for one I definitely like the looks of TRD Pro style grille and during BF R4T was offering one for $109, which is way cheaper than the normal $150-$180 you see them going for normally, so I bit.

https://www.runnin4tacos.com/collec...s/trd-pro-replica-grille-for-2012-2015-tacoma

I just wanted to do a little review on it since I installed it last night. Overall, I am certainly happy w/ the look of it as far as the appearance and "visual quality" if that is a thing. And let's be honest if your paying $100+ for pc of plastic in the first place, it had better look the part first & foremost.
    IMG_4016.jpg
    image3.jpg

The install went smoothly though it did take some minor modifications which is why I wanted to post this in case you ever consider purchasing one. The process is supposed to be as simple as removing the current grille & shroud assembly from your truck, separating the grille from the shroud and then installing the new one. There were two areas where things went somewhat awry when trying to mate this grilled to the shroud. I should also point out, it didn't include any instructions w/ the product which I am sure would bother some folks, but here were the real issues I ran into:

1) There are a number of tabs (all plastic) on the painted/chrome shroud that stick through the grille to hold it in place. When I went to mate the new grille to the shroud though, one of the tabs on the upper part of the shroud had no slot to mate with. There didn't appear to be any boss or other area that missed being cut out in mfg either that I could see. Therefore I had to take a Dremel and cut out a slot for that tab myself, which while simple to fix is one issue that shouldn't be. There is also a ton of little torx bit screws that secure things around the bottom edge in addition to the tabs/clips and the grille was missing holes for two of these as well, but honestly it doesn't need those two screws so I can let that go.

2) The second issue I had was that the new grille only came w/ a cheap/thin strip of neoprene foam on the top where it mates to the hood when you shut it. The stock grille has an actual pc of rubber weather stripping attached w/ plastic plugs which is obviously nicer and seals much better. This pic is after I "fixed" it, but you case see the foam versus the weather stripping:

image0.jpg

I tried it first w/ just the foam to see and it didn't seal very good at all. So I removed the rubber weather stripping from the stock grille & then marked where to drill holes so I could install it on the new grille on top of the foam strip.

image1.jpg image2.jpg

Once again, this wasn't hard but something you would definitely want to do b/c the way the product comes in not acceptable for good sealing against the hood when closed.

So overall, the pc seems sturdy enough and looks the part, but don't be surprised if you have to do a little "custom work" to make it work as well as the OEM version (which I am sure costs more than the $109 I paid). This R4T normally retails for $174 like most of them out there do, and I think if I paid that much I probably would have been going back to do some complaining about these issue but considering the discount they offered why bother. It seems like the cheapest you are ever going to see for these plastic grilles.

sentientprogram and David210 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top