1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Lean with TRD intake

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by toytaco1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Oct 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    toytaco1

toytaco1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jed
    moreno valley
    Vehicle:
    05 supercharged trd off road
    trd supercharger, TRD intake, magna flow exhaust, JBA headers, walker evans front, fox rear, leaf pack, drilled slotted rotors, All Pro Front Bumper, Warn 8000 Winch
    I know there are others who have posted results on different intakes causing Lean conditions.

A little background I have a 05 v6 4.0, I have the TRD SC, JB Headers, magnaflow exhaust, 2.8 pulley, and the TRD intake. After a month the truck popped a p0171 Lean code and then right after a p0101 MAF problem. I thought hmmm what would cause that. I used my scan tool and this is what the fuel trim was saying
    photo (4).jpg

I had purchased the upgraded fuel pump from URD a few months ago and never installed. I decided to install the pump and see if that would fix the issue, well it didn't.

I had my K&N intake sitting around still so I figured I would swap and see what the fuel trims would say and this was the result.
    photo (3).jpg

The TRD increased the fuel trim by about double, I guess with the design of the intake being much larger in diameter than stock it increases the amount of air too much and the MAF is still reporting the normal amount of air that a stock intake would produce. The end result is too much air being mixed with the regular amount of fuel causing a LEAN condition.
    I know there are users here that have the SC and TRD intake and have no problems, but in my case I did. So looks like I will be selling a brand new TRD Intake here soon

I bought a stock intake from a user here and it should be here today I am going to do the same thing and post the results later on.

2. Nov 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    robfather

robfather New Member

Member:
    fox 2.5 front, camburg uca, trd short throw, fox 2.0 rear,w/remote res, ubolt flip rear, timbren b/s rear,supercharged, trd exhaust, gadget enduced!
    i have the exact same problem. exact same set up u have,only i threw the same codes within 10 min of drive time. ordered a new intake from gadget at urd that will work with s/c. should be here monday. im going to put the stock one back on till then.so like you i have a new trd intake for sale. 225 shipped.

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    robfather

robfather New Member

Member:
    fox 2.5 front, camburg uca, trd short throw, fox 2.0 rear,w/remote res, ubolt flip rear, timbren b/s rear,supercharged, trd exhaust, gadget enduced!
    The afe intake solved the problem. Put it on today and it works perfect. Ran it hard through the gears and on freeway. No codes. I have used various intakes over the last 20+ years and the afe is nicer.

4. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    robfather

robfather New Member

Member:
    I guess I should clarify. I'm running a 2011 4.0 trd s/c afe intake (now), and trd exhaust. So not exactly the same but close.

5. Dec 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    will a URD TCAI work with a TRD S/C? I am looking at purchasing one, and already have the TCAI installed. Thanks for the help

6. Dec 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    robfather

robfather New Member

Member:
    Yes it will work. i was talking to gadget at urd (when i was throwing codes)and i almost went with the tcai. i went with the afe because of the extreme dusty conditions i drive in.

7. Dec 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    Aerial Tacoma

Aerial Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    Kodiak Ak
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Catback, Original HomerTaco Raptor Grill, TRD Trail Teams "Black", Duratrac 265/75/16, ALL PRO apex rear bumper, Retrofits W/ BHLM halos and deamon eyes
  8. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife

Thanks!

9. Feb 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    Is anyone tried to correct the TRD CAI lean issue with honeycomb airflow straightener?
    [​IMG]
    Ø 100 mm comb would fit nicely to the airbox connection.

Products Discussed in

To Top