1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Multiple Off-Road Lights off the same relay

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by acdronin, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I doubt it will be a problem. They size the alternator to be able to charge the battery, run the engine, stereo (stock), wipers, lights, etc and still be able to charge the trailer battery if you're towing. Take away the towing and the wipers (who runs all those lights in the rain, anyway?) and I doubt you will have a problem. You could have the system tested at a shop to see if you have any reserve left or if you are officially pulling more amps than the alternator will provide.

Most factory batteries are rated to provide 100 minutes or more of reserve power without the alternator charging. I believe that's with a 25amp draw. So you could have a 25 amps deficit for over an hour and still not have a problem. My buddy had 4 130W lights on his Jeep with 120A alternator and big ass stereo. We used to go to the sand dunes and run around with all that on for a few hours. Never had any problems.

2. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    acdronin

acdronin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Right, the lights are pulling 43.3 amps 4x130 (watts)=520 (watts) divided by 12 (volts) = 43.3 amps I should be ok, I'm going to look up the amp draw of my headlights on bright, add that in as well. The stereo is not much (stock) and then the engine.

Products Discussed in

To Top