1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Two Spares? Yes/No

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by Grumpy Jesse, Dec 9, 2020.

?

Two Spare Tires

1. Yes. That's required.

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No. That's ridiculous.

31 vote(s)
    86.1%
  1. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Grumpy Jesse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco That Used To Be A Pro
    '18 Tacoma Dobinsons MRR front with UCA's CMC and plenty smashing in the of the tub Rear #600 leafs U-bolt Flip Can Clam 35's Custom Front High Clearance Bumper w/cheap LED's Air and Dual battery built by yours truly '85 pickup 60 and a 14B swap full width (on leafs) Fully hydro Dual T Case H1's re-centered with inner bead lock Cheap e30 Seats Flat Bed
    My humble opinion is I highly disagree with two spares in 99% of what common wheelers do. I understand carrying one spare, but two is unnecessary weight and space. If you are that worried about popping TWO tires on a trip, you should start back at the wheeling basics. Learn to not pop a tire and learn how to fix a flat. If you are planning on carrying two spares, I take it you already carry a farm jack? With a farm jack and a couple of some small items that equate to less space, weight, and $$$ than a spare tire you can fix a tire. A seriously damaged one at that.

If you even want to make it easier on your self, get bead locks. If you don't want to get bead locks for the whole rig, just make your spare one. This helps you remove the bead and fix the flat appropriately. You can also grow some hair, be an adult about this, and pop the damn bead off the wheel. You don't have to go to a tire shop to do this.

Also by fixing a flat you run less risk of blowing up a third. If you are not rotating your tires correctly you will run a spare that is larger than your other tire. Unequal sizes will increase the risk of blowing up your third. I also take it you do not carry a spare third member...

In short if you are not going to be running your rig in the Baja 1000 or out on a REAL wheeling trip in Australia two spares is a waste of weight and space.

I have been wheeling for 20 years. I got my first rig stuck at 15 and continued to learn the hard way. I have fixed more tires than I can count and never have had to run two spares. Won't lie though, there have been a couple that could not be fixed.

Walkdog and burntkat like this.
  2. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I don't know of anyone who carries two spares and it's certainly not the norm in the tacoma scene, so I'm not sure what prompted this thread. I'm sure 99.99% of people on this forum will agree that two spares are overkill.

whatstcp and doublethebass like this.
  3. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    the OEMs think 1 spare is too many these days...

4. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    Benny blanco

Benny blanco Mr. Jiggletits

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben Day Ho
    Whoville<>Trollhättan
    Vehicle:
    21 Cement TRD OR MT
    Some stuff
    What if you have a second spare with a trailer?

5. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:03 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    For real. Tried to help a dude stranded with a flat in middle-of-nowhere, Utah, and he was like "I'd let you help, but theres nothing to do but call AAA". Got me curious and sure enough, no spare.

6. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tacoma Dobinsons MRR front with UCA's CMC and plenty smashing in the of the tub Rear #600 leafs U-bolt Flip Can Clam 35's Custom Front High Clearance Bumper w/cheap LED's Air and Dual battery built by yours truly '85 pickup 60 and a 14B swap full width (on leafs) Fully hydro Dual T Case H1's re-centered with inner bead lock Cheap e30 Seats Flat Bed
    Don't even get me started on trailers... The biggest limiting factor you can add to your rig is a 1000lb brick with two wheels and no power. You can change my mind if you have PTO and run it to your trailer.

That's a topic for another thread on another day...

7. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    Someone told me that they run two spares...

8. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Where I hunt, fish, camp, explore, etc. up in remote northern Maine, the forest/logging roads are often covered/built with shale. That'll cut a tire faster than you can hide a fart in church. I always carry a 2nd full size spare when I'm up there. In fact, a 2nd spare is highly recommended when travelling in that area (3.5 million acres of commercial forestland). It's got nothing to do with my "wheeling abilities".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  9. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    doublethebass

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    was it @TomHGZ ?

10. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:

For me it is an OEM spare absolute waste of space. I threw 33's on my truck the same day I bought it. Strait from the dealer to Discount for some sweek KO2's. So since day one, it was garbage. I made a drop down gas can carrier. Far more useful in my opinion.

Benny blanco and burntkat like this.
  11. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    2 spares, 10 snatch blocks, and 200ft of winch line isn't the norm?

12. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    doublethebass

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    so under the bed, instead of the OEM spare, you have gas cans....do you have a spare?

13. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    doublethebass

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    knew somebody would pick up on that quick haha

14. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    burntkat

burntkat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    Along this line of thinking, what's the max size spare that can be carried in the OEM position on a first-gen?1

boston23 likes this.
  15. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    So you decided to create an entire thread to express your frustrations.

Lol

boston23, MattEcho, jackn7 and 6 others like this.
  16. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:18 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    Oh.. I get the shale game. What tires are you running? All my BFG tires over the years have done well over the mining shale in the Eagle Tip, and Calapooia Mountains. I still think that two spares is overkill. Spend the money on a solid tire and a good repair kit. I get your point though. You could be the 0.1% that need it. I never have wheeled norther Maine.

17. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    weight wise 1 full-size spare is already a lot. Adding another 1-200lbs (depending on tire setup) is not something I need unless I'm on a deep long trip that may warrant fast tire changes or due to severe tire damage on rocks. Who should tell all the Raptor owners they may not need 2 spares in the bed at all times.

DurtGrrl likes this.
  18. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    :rofl::amen:

19. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    HAHA! Maybe 37.45% yes... The other is I want to know if I am wrong and correct my opinion. What better way than to create a thread and either get bashed for being an idiot, or get backed up? I know my small world, but I know there is more world out there.

jackn7 and EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Dec 9, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. I call it "Gas Clam". I have not run a spare in 2 years... I have been on patch kits. I have had 2 flats in that time. One was just the bead getting filled with mountain sand, the other was a puncture. Fixed both and got home. Replaced the punctured tire when I got home.

Products Discussed in

To Top