1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running wires from HU to crossover

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DPC08, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Feb 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    Hi guys, not on my Taco, but rather my project car. I recently installed new component speakers and HU, and almost immediately noticed some occassional crackling on the front drivers speakers. I'm not sure if it was the same crackling from the crap stock speakers that I had attributed to the speakers going out. Shortly after installing the new speakers and noticing the crackling, the speakers went out for good. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the components and headunit (swapped in another headunit that I knew worked), so I've concluded it's a poor connection somewhere or a break. Looking around, the only thing I can tell is some corrosion on some of the plug connections. I'm going to try to clean the connections overnight and see if that helps (anything else to use other than lemon juice?).

If that doesn't work, I'd rather not pull out my whole dash and wiring looms to trace down the problem. So I'm thinking to run separate wires directly from the headunit harness where it normally connects to the factory harness to the component crossovers' inputs. Is there anything wrong with this (other than not tracing and fixing the root of the problem). Thanks in advance guys.

2. Feb 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
    Running new wires certainly sounds like the easier route. I don't see any harm in bypassing the harness if there's a bad connection.

Hopefully the bad connection didn't short out and blow your HU channels...

Products Discussed in

To Top