1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

running wires, where and how long?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zero niner, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sep 17, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    zero niner

zero niner [OP] romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    So I'm planning my install and have a few questions for those who installed a stereo on a double cab tacoma.

I'm mounting the amps behind the rear seats. How long do I need to get the RCA cables? Where do I run them? I'm thinking of straight back along the tranny hump...

Power cable, did you run it under the truck entirely? Come up through a rear hole in the ground? Did you bring just the pos back to the rear or should I run the neg cable to the battery? Should I run a 0/1 to the rear and split with distro block?

I know it sounds like a rookie question, because I am!!! Thanks in advance, I'd like to see how much I can manage to get done on my own to save some installation costs. Take care.

Rob

2. Sep 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
  3. Sep 17, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    10 feet would probably be plenty..

4. Sep 17, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    I'm only running a 300w for my speakers and 500w for my sub, should I just run 2 gauge instead? I can split that at the rear on my amp board to run each amplifier. Should I run this in the cab or under the frame to behind the seats? Thanks again for the info guys!!!

Rob

5. Sep 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109

I have a 4awg fosgate kit and it's plenty for my JL 500/1

You can run the wires wherever you want, but by far the easiest thing to do is just pop off the trim pieces on the door jams and run it through. I ran one set of pre amp wires w. the power along the drivers side with no issues. I plan on running the other 2 sets of RCAs on the passenger side.

6. Sep 17, 2008 at 5:10 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Rule of thumb when I did a lot of car audo work was that your ground wire should never be longer than 3 feet and never grounded at the battery. Find a good piece of metal and go right to it. I prefer seat bolts but you can be creative with ground as long as it's touching bare metal.

7. Sep 17, 2008 at 8:53 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Correct, do your best to keep the ground wire as short as possible (under 3'). I think 4 awg has plenty of ampacity for just about anything you are going to throw at it.

8. Sep 17, 2008 at 9:01 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Damn! Good thing I asked, I was about to run multiple cables into my cab, I'll just run a positive 2 gauge to the rear and ground the battery properly with a larger ground cable and then ground the amps properly. Thanks for the advice!

Rob

9. Sep 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Based on the current draw of a true 800 watts and typical a/b amp efficiency 4AWG will be plenty for your situation (class d amps would typically be more efficient so 4AWG will still be fine). Not meaning to step on any toes :eek: but I also wanted to mention that it is in fact OK to run the ground wire all the way to the battery when necessary as long as the ground wire has at least the same capacity as the properly sized power wire (that's how we do it in boats :) but in your case it is definitely not necessary since as mentioned you have plenty of good ground points). Almost forgot, not all metal is a good ground point in today's vehicle as some metal panels are actually held in place with adhesive :eek: which could isolate it from the ground plane.

10. Sep 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    I just realized who you are! :D

11. Sep 17, 2008 at 9:47 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Awesome Marv! Yup it's me, getting started on the wiring!

Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top