1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust colored coolant?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrWang, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    When very rusty or bad I used a DC voltmeter, with the negative in the middle of the radiator coolant and the positive on the vehicle frame. If I saw a small voltage like a volt or two the antifreeze was bad. No voltage I would check its ability for cold protection, add a can of water pump lube and let it go. bad anti freeze acts like a battery and that will cause electrolysis and start eating up fittings, copper radiators, hoses .

If I felt real strongly about changing it then I would, I also changed all the hoses and belts.
    I do that now days every other year as I just hate trouble on the road and hoses and belts are cheap. My 2009 Tacoma will get new hoses and belts next summer.

2. Dec 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    DrWang

DrWang [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab SR5
    Thanks everyone. I'll be checking the coolant color outside of the radiator later tonight and I'll report back.

3. Dec 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Better safe than sorry.

Ran my OEM belts for 10 yrs, still on the same hoses. it has never got above the 1/2 mark on the temp gauge, so they havent been hard heat soaked or puffed at all. I pulled the upper hose off when I did the coolant change recently, just to peek inside and see the condition. saved the old belts for backups. The bad thing about replacing the belts, is if you get your tensioners to tight, you can burn up the mileaged accessory's faster. A fresh belt grabbing that used accessory puts just a bit more strain on it, until the belt breaks-in and stretches just a tad.

4. Dec 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    DrWang

DrWang [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab SR5
    Yeah so uhhhh, I was just testing you guys. The coolant was pink when I pulled some out. So no rust, no problems.

Don't worry, you passed the test.

THANKS!

5. Dec 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    Groovy

6. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Yeah, wearing those 3-D glasses with the different colored lenses around really isn't so cool anymore. And it does throw the coolant color off a bit.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top