1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust, Leaf Springs, and alarm help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StAndrew, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew [OP] Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Ive had my truck for about 3mo now and am very happy with it. I have a few issues that I need to straighten out, however.

First: I have a bit of rust on my tow hitch. While I dont tow much, it looks bad and I dont want it to get out of control. Any tips on how to get rid of it and prevent any future rust would be great (ie, how to strip, re prime, and re paint).

Second: Leaf springs. They are BAD. Axel wrap is out of control. I initially got an AAL (I got the 1.5" raise as I figure this would help stiffen and maybe get back to stock height), however I dont think they will be enough. Can someone recommend me to a nice spring stiffener (one of those "traction bars" that attach to the leaf spring). Now I know what you will say "just go all out and get a new kit" however Im broke and I already have the AAL. So here is what I will promise you: I will install the AAL and if it does a reasonable job, Ill also get the stiffeners. If not, Ill take them out and sell them and get a brand new set of leafs.

Third: I have an after market alarm/remote start from Audiovox (it was installed by last owner). When replacing my spark plugs, I had to unhook one of the "boxes" (which I think was to the remote start) and now the remote start doesnt work (yes I rehooked it). Im sure I have to reprogram it; anyone know how? Tech help is useless. They said since I wasnt the original customer Im sol (ill try again tomorrow and hope I dont get another SOB).

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Skolfoppa

Skolfoppa Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Black 3.4 TRD
    BFG TAKOs, Deck Plate, k&n, Bullie w/ PIAA 520s, Alpined w/ 8" sub, All Mobil 1 synthetic.
    For the rust issue- Fluid Film or solution with phosphoric acid. Skol.

3. Apr 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Thanks for the reply. Im not too concerned with removing rust as much as re painting and preventing rust.

4. Apr 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    For the rust, do alittle loose particle cleaning hit it with rust reformer then a paint of ur choice... don't have axle wrap problems but I believe xrunners have traction bars, good luck

Ps... just used dome griots garage rust reformer and have used in the past and it works great

5. Apr 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
  6. Apr 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    StAndrew

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle: