1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rust on 06 trd offroad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 99YOTA412, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    99YOTA412

99YOTA412 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    layton
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad, Bilstein 5100 shocks
    hey. i just bought a 06 tacoma trd offroad. i bought it with some rust on the frame from the beach saltwater. how do you know if the rust is bad enough to worry about it? i think its mostly just surface rust so i used a wire brush to get most of the flakes of rust off then sprayed it with primer. i just looked under the front end and seen some more. just on most of the bolt and the a arms. dont know exactly what to do..

2. Dec 22, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Sounds like your on the right track with the wire brush and primer, but you need to add paint to it soon. If you really want it gone forever look into por15 paint

3. Dec 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    99YOTA412

Member:
    First Name:
    layton
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    thank you.

4. Dec 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    +1 on the POR 15. Wire brush the rust, then clean the area with Marine Clean. Follow directions and treat area with Metal Ready (kind of turns rust into primer). Then brush on the POR 15 paint with a cheap brush. The POR 15 is self-leveling so it will smooth itself out. I have used it on many times on restoration cars and it permanately coats and stops rust. Great stuff. Beware that if you open the can and get the POR 15 on the lid you will never get it open again. I use a turkey baster to suck out as much as I need without getting it on the lid. Good luck with it.
    http://www.por15.com/

5. Dec 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    99YOTA412

Member:
    First Name:
    layton
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    thanks. but how do i know if the the rust is just surface rust or if its deeper?

6. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Take a screw driver and try to push it into the frame. Really sucks if it goes through, so make sure you really want to know.:eek:

7. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    Joes06 is pretty much correct, all you can to is poke it and pick at it to see how deep it actually is. You can wire brush it or hit it with a wire wheel until you see good metal as well. If the rust is coming off in big flakes or you can poke a hole through the metal, you are toast. Primering it like you did will slow it down but it wont cure the problem. You need a product like the metal ready or Rustmort that gets into the rust/metal and stops the rusting process. Be careful to read the directions and use gloves and eye protection as most of these products contain some acid. The process is a pain in the a$$ so it is worth the time to do it once properly then to have to do it over again. Once again, good luck.

8. Dec 23, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah, pick at it with a screw driver, if it's flaking off, it's time to bust out the wire wheel and get rid of that shit.

I've heard good things about evapo rust, you might also try that. Or try a product with phosphoric acid, that "kills" rust.

Then hit it with some primer and a paint.

9. Jan 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Messyt

Messyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 1998 taco xcab limited, w/ only 115000 miles. It has slight frame rust but has a 3" hole near the back leafspring. Could i stop all the rust and patch the hole and be able to pass state inspection for years? I haven't heard back from Toyota with a buy back offer yet but i don't want to get rid of this truck. The 98's are my fav tacomas and this one is loaded w/ sunroof etc, a luxury truck! What would you guys do? Turn down Toyota's offer? Keep it and get to work on it? How much do you think it's worth in " Excellent Condition? I have to make a descision soon :(

Products Discussed in

To Top