1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rust on door sills.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobwilson1977, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Oct 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Today I spent a good 2-3 hours using some buffing compound and rubbing down the 14 year old paint on my 96' taco. I then followed up with some wax. Moving inward, I decided to wax the door sills. I noticed that the edges of the driver side door in places was bubbled up with rust. I cleaned those areas, sanded the rust off and put on 3-4 coats of heavy sealant and paint on the affected areas. Seems weird that it would rust in these areas. Anyone had rust issues like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    trailinTaco

trailinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4
    3 inch suspension lift, 33 inch bfgoodrich mud terrain tires, toytech diff drop, Procomp alloy wheels, hella fog lights, black projector headlights with 8000k HID's, blacked out tail lights, two 12 inch subs, 20% tint, pioneer head unit and speakers
    on my passenger door sill most of the paint is flaking off but im getting it painted. im sure if i left mine alone it would rust.

3. Oct 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Black Access Cab 4x2
    Some stuff
    It may make some sense. It seems you did a very good job cleaning it up. anyway, water can get into the doors very easily through the window gap. this would then settle atthe lowest point and eventually, even if well sealed cause the door to rust from the inside. Of course, I could be very wrong.

4. Oct 22, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    closed31

closed31 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DoubleCab Sport 4x4
    none
    you know, if that were a dodge, gmc or especially a ford the doors would be TOTALLY rusted out by now. i know from 1st hand expierence.

To Top