1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on Shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tsfenrir, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    tsfenrir

tsfenrir [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    DBL SB TRD Off Road 4X4
    Fox 2.5 RR and RR in rear, Dakar 2.75 leafs, TC UCA's, Shrockworks front bumper
    I had purchased them with the UCA's and rear Fox's as a package deal.....the rears don't look anything like the fronts. The maintenance sheet they sent suggested to wax the bodies to keep them healthy. I did a few times and this still happened. Still awaiting a reply from FOX.

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks!

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    Caged and Linked 2008 4x4
    Camburg Long Travel and 9" Rear End, Caged and 3 Linked Icon Shocks PCI Race Radios Method Wheels Toyo Tires Mastercraft Seats and Belts
    much like you we live far far away from the salt belt so most of our builds that are coming back into the shop on a regular basis stay extremely clean and rust free but in my opinion Icon is the only brand with a recognized and advertised solution to the problem straight out of the box, that would probably be my first choice and recommendation to anyone ordering from that neck of the woods. The new 2.0 VS rear shocks are aluminum bodied as well.

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Supermoto

Supermoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Encinitas/San Diego
    Yeah i have heard great things about their coating. Thats cool they have an aluminum bodied shock now, before that it was just the Blackhawk right? Does ICON still use proprietary valving shims?

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks!

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    Caged and Linked 2008 4x4
    Camburg Long Travel and 9" Rear End, Caged and 3 Linked Icon Shocks PCI Race Radios Method Wheels Toyo Tires Mastercraft Seats and Belts
    On their vehicle specific shocks yes but you can now order just about anything in any size/valving you want from them or us. For instance the 5/1600 car is getting 3.0x14 quads out back and 2.5x10" tripples up front.

I believe you are correct on the blackhawks, The VS aluminum bodied shocks are completely rebuildable too.

[​IMG]

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously though myself Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevos Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Join the club.
    [​IMG]
    turned to this:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to clean everything up as best as I can, replace what needs it, and coat everything with Fluid Film as mentioned earlier in this thread.

6. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    tsfenrir

tsfenrir [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    DBL SB TRD Off Road 4X4
    Fox 2.5 RR and RR in rear, Dakar 2.75 leafs, TC UCA's, Shrockworks front bumper
    I looked up the Fluid Film stuff on their website, I hope it does what it claims. I have a shelf in my garage dedicated to all the cleaners and lubricants I have used trying to clean and protect so far. It's been a losing battle. It seems the only way to keep them clean here is to wipe down and coat every time they get wet.

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    pAP

pAP ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    I really want to try something with these fox co's. Mine barely saw salt and they are starting to shows signs of deterioration. I wash the shit out of the truck too. I'm going to try fluid film.

To Top