1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust stains on driveway...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by av_boy, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    av_boy

av_boy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I have some weld-on sliders that I painted carefully, and painted the attachment points carefully as well. I didnt weld them on myself, had it done about a year ago. Recently I noticed that where I park my truck there are some rust stains forming right under the sliders.

I want to keep this truck for a long time, and I almost never go offroading, so I am considering giving the sliders away to whoever will take them completely off. Any ideas of what else it might be before I do this? All I can think of is that maybe water is getting behind the plates that are welded to the frame,

2. May 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    Depending on where you are located I'll hack them off and take em with me!! As far as the rust goes I would say its behind the tab that got welded to the frame and is oozing out from there, maybe try wire wheeling them off and then re painting them??

3. May 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    sch0enne

sch0enne Well-Known Member

Member:
    penticton British Columbia Canada
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    bed lights, cobra 19 dx cb radio, flow pro muffler
    I would just get some Rubberized undercoating to seal the Welds and area under the truck. It will seal it and should eliminate that from happening if thats really where it is coming from.

You should be able to crawl under the truck and see exactly where its coming from. I think giving away the sliders is jumping the gun a bit and im sure there is a million people that would jump on the opportunity to have them .

IMO i say try and fix it first..

4. May 31, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    av_boy

av_boy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ok, lets say I find that the water is getting behind the plate and am able seal it up. Will the rust that has already formed behind it not cause me any trouble in the future?

5. Jun 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    If the rust has already formed, it will continue if you don't take measures to remove / stop it. I personally don't like the rubberized coatings. It just seals in allot of moisture and breeds rust under there - until one day it peals off and reveals the rot in underneath.

Products Discussed in

To Top