1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rusty wheelers leaf springs?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by techride, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM
    techride

techride [OP] Weekend Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    Bilstein/Icon 2" suspension lift with wheelers 5 leaf springs, 7-pin relocate through bumper, bfg KO2s, redline hood struts, immryo mirror relocation, stubby antenna, dipped emblem, heated mirrors, Jason trek cap, led fogs, debadged
    So, about six months ago I installed my wheelers 5 leaf HD leaf springs. The install went ok and I was really happy with the ride afterwards, albeit firm. Yesterday I crawled under my truck to double check the bolts and holy CRAP are these things rusty. My oem springs saw a winter here and they look brand new by comparison. Did I miss something critical when installing them? Was I supposed to coat them with something beforehand? The paint on them looked fine, so I didn't think twice about it. I dread the idea of having to pull them soon cause putting them in was a big job. Any feedback or advice? I'll get pictures tomorrow morning when it's light out.

2. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    I would imagine it is just surface rust. My Dakars rusted quickly too. No big deal

3. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    techride

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    Bilstein/Icon 2" suspension lift with wheelers 5 leaf springs, 7-pin relocate through bumper, bfg KO2s, redline hood struts, immryo mirror relocation, stubby antenna, dipped emblem, heated mirrors, Jason trek cap, led fogs, debadged
    My issue is that the oem ones still looked almost new after over a year of service... I kinda expected the same from the aftermarket.

4. Jan 30, 2016 at 4:48 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid
    In for pics... For what it's worth when I got my ICON AAL's they appeared to be assembled as raw steel and painted assembled rather than individually. When I took them apart there was heavy surface rust between them. Took a wire wheel to them, then a few coats of paint, followed by a moderate coating of grease between each leaf. They've been holding up decent, but still not quite as good as the stock leafs.

5. Feb 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    techride

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
  6. Feb 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    I guess it comes down to form or function. OEM stay pretty, sag and break while aftermarket last but look poor.
    You could always clean them up a bit like @ThatguyJZ and coat them with some rust paint. Although, I don't think it would last long.

7. Feb 2, 2016 at 11:38 PM
    techride

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    As long as they don't crap out on me anytime soon I'm ok with them looking rusty. Those springs weren't cheap, and swapping out leaf packs was one of the more difficult things I've done with my truck.

8. Feb 6, 2016 at 3:39 AM
    sgtnewundies

sgtnewundies Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Florida, Citrus County
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport red
    Working on it now....UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Nasty salt does significant damage. I am glad I live down here. No different then driving a vehicle in salt water. I use Boeshield on my undercarriage when it needs it. If I lived in the North I would treat the undercarriage right before the snow. Keep it clean and it will look nice for many years.

9. Feb 6, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    techride

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    It's just the new springs, though! The rest of the truck looks great underneath!

Products Discussed in

To Top