1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

S/C Water/Methanol allow higher boost pressures?????

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by sctrdtaco03, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    sctrdtaco03

sctrdtaco03 [OP] Ah yeah that guy

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    Port Orchard,Wa
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    first gen trd supercharger throttle body coolant delete gray wire mod rear diff breather extension King coilovers All pro uca's toytec 2" shackle extension rear billy 5100 water meth injection urd 6 injector upgrade other assorted goodies custom AZ pinstripe on sides
    ok first I have a 1 gen(gray) S/C on a 3.4

I have snow performance water/meth on it also I use it to run a lower grade octane since it "raises" the detonation threshold.

One question I have is will I be able to Run higher octane(91) run higher boost?
    I am running stock MAP's but water/meth enriches the fuel mixture and allows more advanced timing. SO when adding higher pressures more fuel is needed and timing needs to be retarded. By running water/meth it will compensate for this, so more boost will be allowed? Anyone following what I'm saying? or have experience in this?

BTW this isn't a full thought plan but more of a brainstorm so any input appreciated

2. Nov 7, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Should be able to.
    But the meth makes it so you can run the lower octane and I would start by adding timing not boost.

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    sctrdtaco03

sctrdtaco03 [OP] Ah yeah that guy

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    Port Orchard,Wa
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    first gen trd supercharger throttle body coolant delete gray wire mod rear diff breather extension King coilovers All pro uca's toytec 2" shackle extension rear billy 5100 water meth injection urd 6 injector upgrade other assorted goodies custom AZ pinstripe on sides
    Yea I would much rather add timing and see how is goes, but it was an idea I wanted to throw out. Seeing that It's stock on the ignition maps.

4. Nov 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    what snow performance kits you run, I got a stage three and am wondering what percent you spraying.

5. Nov 19, 2013 at 4:21 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    I would add boost, not timing. One glitch in your meth injection with too much timing could be the end of the motor. I would also be careful using it to run lower octane with your supercharger. The Water/Meth is only operating at WOT. You're in boost at part throttle very often. Part throttle/high load conditions are where most knock will occur.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  6. Nov 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    ^^^I absolutely agree on adding boost first not timing... How are you controlling the water/meth spray... boost switch controller? The boost psi should go up due to the water/meth mixture cooling the incoming air; especially on super hot days. Stick with high octane fuel; the water/meth is just insurance on your motor

7. Nov 27, 2013 at 2:17 AM
    lunch box

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    I added a water meth kit because with the seventh injector kit to illiminate knock I had to reduce timing so much it stole allot of power with the meth kit I got my timing back to zero and usually pull about 10.5 lbs of boost never herd a knock one also my AFR are allot better almost never lean, I got my horses back and maybe some extra,but I can get methanol for like 30 bucks for 5 gallons which makes 10 compared to buying boost juice for 50 dollars for 5 gallons pre mixed so its really 50 dollars for 2.5 gal of methanol and 2.5 gal of water.it sucks filling it up all the time but its good because it forces me to look in the engine bay and notice things like rubbing lines or what not,but the performance is pretty great and people say actually good for your engine.

8. Nov 27, 2013 at 2:30 AM
    lunch box

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    so yeah you can have more boost and better timing more advanced, when they used it in ww2 they where running a s/c and a turbo so they had allot of boost,

9. Dec 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    elnip

elnip Well-Known Member

Member:
    LC,NM
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma TRD S/C'd / /'16 T4R Trail
    Taco SC'd, fuel mods, Supra TT MAF, TRD Headers, Water Meth Injection, Tundra Brake upgrade Trail w/URD EL Headers. JFR EL Y-pipe, URD Hi Clearance cat back, KDMAX Tune, 4.56's
    Just to be clear, you can not add timing to the 3.4, only retard it.

Products Discussed in

To Top