1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Safe Tread Depth for Snow and Winter??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mbrogz3000, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    This question is for 2nd gen Tacoma owners who live in cold weather areas dealing with seasonal snow, and who have already upgraded their tires from stock. At what tread depth do you feel you need to replace the tires again?

My tires are uniformly between 4/32"s to 5/32"s, at only 37 months on Michelin MS/2's and about 40000-45000 miles, never spun or never braked w/ sliding or never drifted. These still felt reasonable safe in the rain at highway speed limits. At the specified PSI and with an aligned unmodified suspension, the Tacoma basically doesn't feel safe in light snow or on damp salt coated highway roads. The gas pedal feels like its a constant hair trigger at all times to break loose the rear end in even light snow. Does everyone's Tacoma feel very very sensitive to driver inputs when the tires are at this approximate depth?

I'm just curious and asking in a new thread I see lots of other Tacomas and trucks and SUVs in the area with what looks like the same or even less tread depth - are these people just fine with 'not knowing' they are not safe on winter roads?

And this doesn't even get into that dreaded 'ABS causes unwanted sliding in the snow' realm, yet (I haven't experienced that since ditching those dangerous rugged fails).

2. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Driving in the snow with that little amount of tread is irresponsible. Just because there are other people driving around with practically bald tires, doesn't mean you should be an idiot too. You have gotten your moneys worth out of those tires. Buy new tires and be safer than the other guy.

3. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    knottyrope

knottyrope Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knotty
    Bahstun
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco CCLB 4x4 SR5 4.0
    Pads, rotors, ujoints, 5900K Super White Xenon HID Halogen Bulb Fog Light
    I have 25% tread left or so and buying new tires ASAP

4. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Stemmy

Stemmy Certified Wombat Rancher

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica DCLB
    get some Hankook Dynapro ATM's or General Grabber AT2's theyre both really good in snow.

nobescare likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    Khrolar

Khrolar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    4 door 2017 trd off-road,
    None... :(
    In Canada, our laws require at minimum a M+S tire, or a snowflake tire with a minimum of 3mm of tread. (4/32 ish)

So if I were you I would replace your tires the minute you feel they are slipping and sliding in snow, no matter the tread depth left.

6. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Tread depth is not the only key to traction, in any conditions.

Compound type for the condition, and the age of the tire, are pretty important too.

Your tires are over 3 yrs old (look at their date stamp). Compound begins a significant decline after 2 years.

7. Dec 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    mbrogz3000

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    I definitely felt the declined performance last winter, but it was still safe and manageable. Well aware of the effects of UV exposure on the compound - my truck needs to sit on blacktop every day, unfortunately without any shade coverage.

So the lesson here is 4/32"s to 5/32"s, at 24+ months is 'solid-yellow' in the rain and dry weather, but its really a 'yellow-red' in terms of snow safety, and time to replace.

Those reviews where people are getting 60000 miles are pretty useless and meaningless then -

Getting some new tires...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Muddinfun likes this.
  8. Dec 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    TheSaltyDoc

TheSaltyDoc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    If you’re looking for some good quality A/T tires I found pretty good deal. I actually just yesterday bought a set of Cooper ST Maxx from https://tirecrawler.com/ for only $689 total. All the reviews i read said they were good in snow/mud, as well as highway travel. I’d been looking at these tires for a while now but they were always nearly $900.

Kyitty likes this.
  9. Dec 13, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    I've never gone into winter with 1/4" or less.

10. Dec 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I'd say the answer is a bit more complex than the question. For instance, even at full tread depth, most Summer or High Performance tires are utterly useless in the snow. For All Season tires, generally speaking, anything less than 1/3 tread depth is seriously going to impair your ability to drive safely in the snow. For Mud & Snow or true Ice & Snow tires, I wouldn't go with anything less than 1/4 tread depth. And if you're on ice or deep snow, nothing less than 1/2 tread depth is probably more reasonable. That said, I've driven customer cars that had brand new tires on them that were downright scary in the snow or even rain. I've also driven cars with Blizzaks at less than 1/3 tread depth that were utterly amazing on hard pack and ice.

11. Dec 13, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Winter tires for actual snow/ice winters.

All season for the rest of the year.

4wd and right tires make a vehicle go in foul stuff.

Tires are all that give the grip for steering and stopping.

12. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM
    mbrogz3000

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the responses.

13. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    I love my Falken AT3Ws, they are wearing well and do well in the snow.

Climberclimb likes this.
  14. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR

It looks like those tires have 12/32 tread depth when new. Generally, the first half of the tread is the part you want for effectiveness. Personally, for winter driving, I would either replace them or mount a set of snow tires and put the MS/2s back on in the spring.

15. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I always run high traction tires. I still won't go into winter with less than 1/4" of tread. Those become summer tires and the old, nearly bald, tires go on Craigslist. There's always someone out there trying to save money on tires.

Muddinfun likes this.
  16. Dec 13, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    1- Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2

2- Sandbags

17. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:04 PM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    Wow, that doesn't sound like you got good life out of them.

I have that exact tire on the FJ Anthracite wheels and I have over 80k on them and they measured 5/32" a few days ago and this is over 3 1/2yrs of use.

Had them on my 1st Gen and now for 467 miles on the 2nd Gen.

I am seriously considering buying another set.

18. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    All this talk and no one has mentioned tire siping. @mbrogz3000 since you mention Michelin tires I'm assuming you have a street tire looking like the following. Tire siping will help a lot with grip in all conditions. Most tire manufacturers dont make this siping go past certain depth because it weakens the tire lugs. If your tires are warn past this point and you can't see these stripes on the lugs I wouldn't run them on any day except a beautiful sunny day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Khrolar likes this.
  19. Dec 13, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    MustDrive

MustDrive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '14 White Off Road, 6-Speed, Double Cab
    Nothing major planned, this is my daily driver. - replaced stock tires with Cooper AT3s - added Husky WeatherBeater floor mats - installed Access Original bed cover - installed Gentex 453 mirror and the included external temp sensor, also has Homelink and auto-dim - installed ImMrYo mirror bracket - hose clamp mod and washer mod to secure tailgate, with a GateKeeper lock installed over the hose clamp - replaced stock reverse lights with Philips Halogen 30w from Home Depot GY6.35 base
    I just replaced my Cooper AT3's after 40,000 miles, they were at 4/32". I put on Cooper A/TW, these are "All Season" tires that are specifically designed for great winter capability (compound, siping, etc).

A canadian tire testing place found them to perform in the middle of the pack of all the dedicated "snow tires" they have tested, meaning these A/TWs performed better than about half the snow tires that had been tested. We had them on my wife's SUV the last several years and really like them in the winter, with no noticeable downside in the summer.

Sandman614 likes this.
  20. Dec 14, 2017 at 5:00 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    i have the ms2's with the same tread depth and dont feel comfortable at all, i just switched over to my snows but had one storm with them. Great tire when new and medium tread depth though. The truck is just so light. Last year, i bit the bullet and bought snows. In the end, it will work out because i always replaced tires before i should due to tread depth around winter. Now, i will ride my ms2's until they reach the indicators. I bet in the past i have given away 20-30,000 miles of tread depth.

Products Discussed in

To Top