1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Safe Tread Depth for Snow and Winter??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mbrogz3000, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I put studded snow tires on my TRD OR wheels. At the 1st hint of snow or ice, I am going put them on the truck. After the snow is gone, I'll pull them back off. That way I'm not wearing out the studs and if I slide into a curb, in the snow, I don't destroy a $250 TRD beadlock wheel.

2. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I sipe and stud my new tires. I run them in winter only until they wear past the siping. Then I pull the studs and they are summer tires. I buy a new set, and repeat the process. I just switched from Toyo M55 to Dean Backcountry MT.

3. Dec 14, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    If I were you I’d be getting new tires.

Your asking an overly complex question that doesn’t have the same answer for all types of tires. You run highway tires not A/Ts or MTs which would probably do better with more treadwear in the snow.

4. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    kegman

kegman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Regina sask canada
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd 4x4 2007
    These trucks are just so light in the rear cuz of the composite box. I drive in winter conditions 6 months of the year and let me tell u, after using studded winter tires for 6 years now I would never consider not using them.

5. Dec 14, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    My ST MAXX have done well in Montana summer and winter thus far. That's a cheap price too!

Products Discussed in

To Top